• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Turkey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it just keeps getting better and better....

(Said with so much sarcasm, the concrete floor beneath me has begun to wilt)

Personally I was against Turkey being in NATO in the first place, too unstable. The military in Turkey are tasked with upholding a rather secular and democratic country... it is far too soon to tell if the military coup is smaller band or large scale. The leanings of their leader were more toward fundamentalism... it will be interesting to see how this plays out. Usually NATO countries are far more stable... but of course the US has interests and a base in their region that is pretty vital.

On my wish list would that Turkey would resume it's secular nationhood, which was whittled away as the head honcho loaded and instilled a bunch of his cronies.

Not really surprising with all the stuff that's been going on there. I think this will continue for a while. When Erdogan says it's over, he's full of sh*t.

IMO Erdogan is a dangerous bastard.

I don't know yet about this time, but certainly in the past, the top military leadership have claimed that their role is defending "modern" (Attaturk) Turkish secularism. I'm not a fan, but arguably the military is the lesser of two evils in this case.

Erdogan has been endangering secularism and has been playing games with the EU over refugees that his regime has (again IMO) been involved up to its eyeballs in displacing from their homes and families.

There has also been evidence (imo pretty strong and convincing evidence) that Erdogan and his family and cronies have been profiting by providing an outlet for oil produced in IS occupied areas, and by that, helping to perpetuate IS and the attrocities it has been inflicting.

Last edited:
From the comments over at Zero Hedge:
nmewn Manthong Jul 16, 2016 10:05 AM
Good thing he [Erdogan] had been busy compiling "lists" beforehand or it would have taken him forever to fully investigate & round up these "enemies of the state"...2,745 intransigent...

...judges ;-)
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-...rges-2745-judges-prosecutors-arrests-hundreds

The Imam in Pennsylvania; Gulen, who @The Albatross mentioned, is made into a bogeyman who Erdogan then uses as a justification for his ever increasing power grabs and purges. The guy is on record as being against the coup!

Middle eastern military coups tend to be extremely well organised and implemented and brutally pushed to a swift and successful conclusion.

It seems that this one was laughably small, disorganised and not even half hearted.

Erdogan is now pushing ahead with purges and consolidations of his power as dictator over what was a parliamentary system

I can only assess those purges and moves as having been long planned.

A while back two Turkish parliamentarians blew the whistle on plans to stage fake (in the sense that they were Turkish planned and orchestrated - the blasts and casualties at shrines would be real enough) terrorist atrocities in Syria in order to provide a pretext for Turkish entry to Syria - to restore order, or defend Turkey's security or whatever bullshite.

The Coup is starting to look very much like a bit of street theatre to enable Erdogan to purge the military, the judiciary and the parliament
and to increase his own position of power

Probably THEE key action in a Coup d'etat, is to silence the current leadership,

There should be no one left to rally opposition; look at the wartime role of de Gaul, look at Edward and Mrs Simpson being shipped off to Bermuda for WWii - well out of the way.

There are claims (probably entirely fabricated) that two F16s had locked on to the Gulfstream that Erdogan was flying back to Istanbul in, but they never fired.

How did Erdogan know that it was even safe to land at Istanbul?
why do flight tracker aps show his flight?

questions like those
and the massive extent of the arrests and purges, really do make this look like a street theatre, planned as a cover story for Erdogan to massively aggrandize and consolidate his power.

and to silence any critics or dissenters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back