• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Understanding Insomnia A Bit More Now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shellbell

MyPTSD Pro
My therapist explained to me in our last session - why I regularly wake up at about 3am. She explained it's due to the brain processing all the stress, anxiety, memories, flashbacks etc and the brain senses danger, so wakes me up. Often these memories turn into nightmares, so again the brain wakes me up.

She also said that due to not getting a good 8 hours sleep, my brain hasn't processed it all and hasn't emptied my 'cup' - she likes the PTSD Cup Theory :tup: So, that's why often I wake up feeling stressed and don't understand why.

So, it would seem that I am not going to get 8 hours sleep a night and that's that, while my brain is processing everything as danger.

It is good to actually understand it a bit more and to hear it in simple terms, rather than just think, yeah I have insomnia and it sucks.

Yeah, I think it's easy to forget that our brains are just as active when we're asleep as they are when we're awake, and so if they're struggling to cope with it all during the day, that same struggle is going to continue during the night. Only thing is that we're not conscious and able to keep track of what's going on, hence what often feels like random baseless distress and anxiety when we wake, not to mention the nightmares, sudden startled wakenings, interupted light sleep sessions etc. Whichever way you slice it, insomnia is hard going, and it takes a wearying toll.

Sending sleep vibes to all fellow sufferers who know the nighttime hours a little too well.

Maddog

It is good to able to share this knowledge so people understand what's going on. And yes out brains are just as active during sleep as they are when we are awake, just doing a different job. And after trauma, processing it differently - hence the insomnia.

Insomnia sucks. But apparently one of the tests of when our therapy work has been successful and is finished - is whether we are sleeping well and not having the brain waking us up at night. So, there's hope of sleeping normally in the future for us all!

That is interesting info. I knew that our brains function during the night but I did not see it as a "defense" mechanism as to processing in everything. Still, I believe everyone would agree that insomnia sucks and makes us feel like a zombie. I slept last night around 8am- that took a huge toll on me. It's an up and down rollercoaster that tooks me around and around.

Thanks for sharing. I sleep ok once out but getting there is brutal. I ghost around the house half the night and my eyes feel like dried fruit shoved in the sockets.

My T just shared something similar, we are finding that when ever I "relax" something tries to sneak through (flashback, etc). So he thinks my inability to fall asleep is trying not to relax or let my guard down, part of me is trying to process stuff and the other part is trying to protect me. He says this may last for awhile. Ugh.

Not great but with what you shared, understanding is just better than just suffering along "in the dark".

Cheers, Whirlwind

It's helpful to remember as well that this is 'trauma induced insomnia', not your average insomnia problem, or sleep deprivation caused by a few weeks or months that can make people feel exhausted.

I've had trauma induced insomnia for 30 years. I really hope that the therapy will help change this in the end. I would love to know what decent sleep for long periods of time actually feels like!

I too have not had a proper nights sleep for a long as I can remember. I like your explaination as sometimes I wonder why I can't sleep when I am truely safe right now. I also think it's interesting that you wake up at 3am because that seems to be the same time I wake up.

I also use to wake up at 3am when I was pregnant and then when my daughter was born she use to wake up to feed at 3am. It just seems to be a cursed time for me. :eek:

Many years ago I woke up at two am every morning. I called it the hell hour. i had terrible nightmares that would haunt me the next day. This went on for such a long time. I am currently on trazedone and risperdone for sleep now. I sleep good every night and only have the occasional weird dream.

It's helpful to remember as well that this is 'trauma induced insomnia', not your average insomnia problem
- this is such a big help. I never really thought of it that way, even though it's so obvious! Thanks for this thread too. It does help that you explain insomnia this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back