• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Update-Therapy Referral For Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

becvan

MyPTSD Pro
Well I finally got a call back. I will be sent to this place:

Community Mental Health Services:

Community Mental Health Services of the Lakehead Psychiatric Hospital provides a multidisciplinary model of mental health services for individuals between the ages of 16 and 65 years, living in the Thunder Bay geographical area with a severe debilitating psychiatric illness and requiring an individualized psychiatric treatment plan with a focus on community living. Services offered include:
  • triage nurses working in partnership with clients, case workers or family to identify a client's needs and present the information to the multidisciplinary team in order to formulate an accurate individualized treatment plan;
  • therapeutic counseling services with nursing, social work, psychology, occupational therapy on assessments;
  • doctor's clinics providing appropriate psychiatric care;
  • medication depot clinics with individual health teaching regarding medications;
  • teaching and information gathering regarding mental illness for our patients;
  • home visits for individuals currently needing more thorough follow-up assessments and/or experiencing severe levels of anxiety;
  • group work including Psycho-educational Groups, Anxiety Groups, Women's Abuse Survivors Group;
  • psychiatric assessments
  • community outreach teaching programs as required;
  • referrals to other programs within the hospital and outside agencies as needed;
  • providing consultation for clients through telepsychiatry with the client, primary therapist, outpatient nurse and a psychiatrist from London, Ontario.
I'm just waiting for them to call me now and find out how long the wait list is. Ugh lot's of freaking waiting! *but I am moving forward*

bec

Wow, wish we had that in the States! I hope you don't have to wait too long, Bec! But it sounds like you'll have lots of support once you get in there. Good luck!

That sounds good :) Similar to what we have in England which are called Community Mental Health Teams. I hope the wait isn't too long... but I'm really glad that you've got something that could work really well for you.

Dunno if any of you know of the old pop group 5ive (a group in the UK that i liked as a teen) but when you said you're "moving forward" I broke out into "Keep on movin', keep on movin'' lol :)

Good luck

Lisa

Thanks guys. No word yet on the waiting list. Hopefully I will hear something by this week.

Lisa: never heard of them, but it sounded like a funny moment!

bec

Shit Dr Bec, sounds like a supermarket for the Mental Health, we should all have one at the end of the street. I suppose the hardest part is getting in there first lets hope its just what the good (Dr)ordered pardon the pun.

THANKS FOR VOTING

NUGGET FOR PRIME MINISTER

Well they called this morning. I have orientation in a month. I'm on team one (I have no idea what that means.. lol I will find out at orientation) which has a waiting list of 2 to 3 months. That's not bad! I should be rolling by November at the latest. I'm still on a wait list for a psych but that could be six months to a year still.

Also, I went to a walk in clinic for a doctor. He was recommended to me because he used to work in the program I'm going into! He switched my nighttime meds (old ones weren't working and didn't want to deal with upping the doses) and gave me both ativan and lorazepam (same drug, you take them differently!) to try and see which works better. I have to go back in a few weeks and then he will take another look at my meds. I think he's going to get them sorted out for me! Much better doc for mental health than my old one! And he is funnier than shit. He got quite the hoot out of my slangy accent and had much fun teasing me about being a country girl! I like him.

So that's the update, next one will be in a month after orientation!

bec

Ohh and MR. Prime Minister: your Mental Health supermarket stuck! LOL now that's the term I'm using when I talk about this program!

Well I no sooner finished up appointments today when the MH Supermarket called me back. I have an appointment with the nurse practitioner in a week! Little did I know, but once this ball gets rolling they take care of everything! All doc visits, all meds, all therapy, any help with chores, household stuff, parenting, work, socializing etc. It's all handled and done by them!

I kinda feel like I hit the ultimate PTSD jackpot! :crazy-blu

bec

Hey, way to go! I am so happy for you. Sorry in being delayed catching up on posts a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back