• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Us politics - read first post before comment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fadeaway-no need for apologies. I think many of us have a strong emotional response for issues at hand, I know I do at least. Even though the outcome will not effect me, I am mad as hell about this issue and other programs being cut, while the rich will get big tax breaks. Supposedly, we will pay less taxes this year. I would prefer to pay what we have always paid and leave these programs as they are.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that I'll bet the food boxes are an idea that never shows up in the real world. Too many challenges. It's an idea that made sense to someone who has no idea how this stuff actually works and who has probably never been responsible for making a meal, much less planning a menu with limited funds.

I haven't researched the accuracy of this article, so consider it "food for thought". It's definitely that. It attempts to neatly summarize the president's proposed budget. It DOES mention that the purpose of the president's budget is more to outline his priorities. It's NOT going to be the actual budget. But, there's some "holy cow" stuff in this article that I hadn't seen yet. https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/trump-budget-17-wtf-items-w516681

Yikes! Why not just shuffle us off to "camps" where we can all live together and be less of a burden on "normal" people? It cuts funding from many things I depend on. How can he look at himself in the mirror? I don't understand why the people who voted for him didn't realize that this would happen, he is a rich, white man and will help rich white men. Ugh. We are an incredibly rich nation, yet instead of caring for people who paid into programs so that they would have security, we spend it on defense? There is no need for more defense. Using scare tactics to convince the public that a wall is needed, and taking funds from Americans who do need them is unbelievable. We don't need a wall, we need compassion. We need ways of keeping national parks open, we need to broaden the use of renewable energy. We do not need to reopen coal mines where miners get sick. Rant over for now.

I don't understand why the people who voted for him didn't realize that this would happen, he is a rich, white man and will help rich white men.
Why do people enjoy "reality TV", and what do they enjoy about it? I think it's probably the same answer.

We don't actually know that ANY of that will happen. But, I think he's made it clear where his heart (if he has one) is. OR, we know what the people who create his "policy" think, because I'm not totally convinced how much of this he's directly responsible for. Does he have the attention span to let him sit down and think that sort of thing through? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe he's willing to sign off on what's put in front of him, if it comes from the trusted source of the moment.

What ever's going on with him, Congress is responsible for the actual budget, the president just has to sign off on or reject what they give him. Congress is a big place, with diverse members. They don't ALL hate poor people.

Meanwhile, camps might be ok. We can call ours "Shimmerzville"! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't benefit personally one way or another by things mentioned in the article, but it will effect people I know and it makes me sick! Cutting section 8 housing. If not for that, homeless would be rampant . Heating assistance-how are elderly and poor to survive. Medical service-only the strong are to survive I guess. Student loan forgiveness-those that take these jobs do so at a lower rate of pay....and they are employed. Of course we don't need a wall, a parade, or more defense.

Now with the recent school shooting in Florida, he gets up and says the cliche basically "thoughts and prayers". Hell no, that kid could have been identified and possibly prevented if we had mental health counselors in schools. A 19 yr old can't drink a beer but can buy a semi automatic gun. Many warning signs were there, but the teachers don't have time to follow through and school counselors are all about testing and overworked pencil pushers.

Sorry for my rant!

A 19 yr old can't drink a beer but can buy a semi automatic gun.
On much of continental Europe there's neither a legal minimum age for buying alcohol, nor a problem with drunkenness.

The experience of the end of alcohol prohibition in the united state, and of drug decriminalisation in Portugal has been of reduced use and reduced abuse.

Time for a loosen up of prudish nanny statism.

Ps, I had a 9mm pistol when I was 17, I wasn't legally allowed to buy alcohol until 18, or sleep with a guy until I was 21...

The second and third laws didn't stop me, and I've never had cause to point a gun at another human.

My pistol was "surrendered" as part of collective punishment in 1997. The guy who owned and indoor range where I shot, was bankrupted by the legislation (there was no compensation for businesses destroyed), and he took his own life.

If I'd ignored the gun laws, and got an unlicensed pistol, I'd likely still have it.

I never got a chance to reply on the school shooting thread before it was moved here, but all I know is that I am out of town and my 17 year old texted me that her theater teacher was talking about the situation and now she is freaked out. The school district sent out a letter to everyone telling what security is in place at our schools including bullet proof glass on the front doors... well what about windows or other doors? And why did you just tell everyone about the the alarm system being secured in the front office? Why not just draw an x on a map for the bad guys to know who to take out first. I also work in schools. I get stuck in fire drills and lock down drills on campuses. The lock down drills are the creepiest. It is dark and quiet and all I can think about is how much better we could hide the kids or how it may be easier to exit the back of the school and get the hell out of there. But I will be frozen at that time, so hiding or playing dead is in my plan for such occasion. I am pretty hypervigilent in my daily existence, especially out walking my dog. I think to myself, wow... this would be an easy place to rape or kill me and no one would know. Then I tell myself once that happens life will significantly change as I know it. Same with the schools. You just can’t prepare for the aftermath of crime and trauma. You can pray it won’t happen, you can hope that probability is in your favor. I just don’t know how else to deal with it and let my kids walk out the door, or drive in a car or go to work in schools. Peoples’ eyes aren’t very open. They don’t believe how serious this stuff is. You call cps on abusive parents and they think the kid was lying, a kid tells you their principal touched their butt.. other adults say the kid must have made it up. Some kid is hurting animals and shooting constantly in his backyard and even introducing himself as a school shooter. People just don’t believe anyone.

Yup very very scary shit... Apparently this kid had a lot of red flags waving and no one noticed or bothered to bring it to anyone’s attention.

I’m not sure HOW we can stop this shit other than.... God forbid, should I mention gun control, stronger vetting for gun permits, making the age to purchase a gun higher than it is now, doing better background checks, getting rid of semi automatic and automatic guns for civilians, bump stocks, and yes, doing checks for “mental healthl” issues. Boy, I’m gonna take shit for that last one, and I know it..... Sorry, but I feel that people with mental health issues should not be allowed to have guns. It just makes sense. Shit, there are many people I know that don’t have mental issues and I don’t think they should have a gun either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back