• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Us politics - read first post before comment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Is there something being planned that is so big that even Trump won't just blab off about it?
Or, is he just messing with everyone? I can see that either way.

Hey, I heard something potentially good on the news this morning. The head of the EPA says they need to clean up super fund sites faster. Now, the budget for this has been cut (repeatedly, by administrations of both parties), but he says money isn't the main problem and this needs to be speeded up. If he can manage that, it would be great.

Perhaps it's the proverbial calm before an upcoming martial law storm when folks will finally be living within the reality we've been getting set up for along the way as each public massacre and insane tirade takes place. Once that reality fully kicks in, I imagine resistance will be bursting at the seams.

Just a notion I have in my gut based on observing the flow of things, @Justmehere . Many police departments in our area have greatly increased their military gear surplus. Some of the smallest towns have acquired some of the most interesting pieces of massive military machinery, "just in case". With each incident, more laws, specifically gun laws, are being considered to supposedly better and more closely manage what weaponry one can legally own and such....one day it'll likely fully kick in and martial law will be declared to handle the masses, most especially the armed ones.

I've actually thought something similar. I had this conversation with a conservative friend, years ago. I think there's more actual danger of an authoritarian take over from "conservative" government than from a "liberal" one. Why? Because the brand of liberalism that exists in this country is basically kind of "be what you want be" and "let's all sing Kum By Yah". They worry about hurting people's self esteem. They're not up for an overt power grab. The "conservatives", on the other hand, tend to think they should be able to tell everyone what values to have and they're more likely to think the use of force is ok.

I DON'T think this shooting is "that" issue, but that's JMO.

I'll also say this. Trump doesn't give a rat's ass about the constitution. If he feels like people having guns is a threat to him and his agenda, he'll do what he can to grab what he wants to grab, regardless of the rules. And, being the successful narcissist he is, he will be persuasive. AND "his base" includes many of the people who would need to be persuaded.

There's a loooooong list of things that have gotten to me since he announced his candidacy. Until last night, the paper towel thing was the latest. For me, that was a time when words failed. I found that whole scene completely indescribable -- the willful and evil condescension, just, so much ugh, I guess my brain doesn't even want to analyze all the suggested images because they are all so awful, wrong, insert your own words.

@Justmehere beat me to posting the CNN piece. This is really chilling. I don't know that we have any option other than to trust in Mattis. And one hopeful thing about that -- remember he was the one cabinet/staff member around the table that day who did not indulge Trump with any kind of creepy loyalty-to-Trump talk.

I’ve been saying that Trump is an authoritarian and that’s how he’s leaning. He’s scary. Just like Putin scary, and very much acts just like Putin.....

Because the brand of liberalism that exists in this country is basically kind of "be what you want be" and "let's all sing Kum By Yah".
This liberal has quite different notions, thank you, as do the ones in my community, workplace and home. Also, I don't give a rat's ass about anyone else's self esteem, unless it concerns my students, in which case I am often mitigating internal damage imposed outside of the classroom.

The White House has now doubled down on the vague "calm before the storm" comment.

1.) We have many parts of the country and our territories dealing from multiple natural disasters, the biggest mass murder in modern US history, North Korea on the brink of War, China pulling out of the dollar, healthcare on the edge of collapse, so on and so on ... and this is the calm...? Um...

2.) before WHAT storm? I mean really, the president with all the military leaders around him calls it the "calm before the storm" to an already jumpy world?

Argh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back