• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Us politics - read first post before comment

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing that makes me crazy is how sometimes a dozen White House people tell things to journalists and still it seems not enough people have a grip on how bad things really are in this country.

And the only reason those people would say this stuff to journalists is because they see that this president is a whack job and they don't know how to make things better.

Please, God, let our country survive Trump.

Looks like Senator Bob Corker, Republican, is just so done with it all with this tweet.

This is one reason why we need term limits. Corker and McCain are both retiring in 2018 - and both are willing to vote and speak out on principles over party.

This article explains that using the 25th admendment isn't actually a sure way to remove Trump from office: Could the 25th Amendment really remove Trump from office?

Basically, it appears Trump may be able to defeat an attempt to impeach via the 25th amendment by just writing a document that says he can do it.... congress has steps they can take after that, but it's pretty unclear how it would play out. It appears that it's not known if it would even lead to successful impeachment of a president that is not in a coma and still able to tell what day and year it is, and sadly, still able to tweet.

Slate's impeach-o-meter, which they admit is "wildly subjective" suggests about a 57.7 percent chance of impeachment, and focuses in on Tiller son calling Trump a moron. Today's Impeach-O-Meter: Morons I think this number is way too high, while the Republicans are in charge of both the Senate and the House.

Looks like representative Al Green from Texas plans to file another impeachment resolution this coming week: Dem lawmaker threatens to force Trump impeachment vote next week

It will fail. It's very likely every such resolution will fail while the Republicans control both houses of Congress --- they rather ride this mess into the ground that admit this guy is terrible.... unless Mueller's investigation or something else shows credible acts of "high crimes or misdemeanors."

I basically find myself, like most other Americans, I gather in a position of constant turmoil and confusion over politics. I hate politics, I especially have a loathe for American politics... I think politics alone would be one reason to move out of this country. I used to think I was 'right' but am not, as I've traveled and lived around the world and would most accurately closely call myself a classical liberal. I hate it and it breaks my heart seeing leftist and right -politics being manipulated to the point of gross distortion where no one can come to any sensible conclusion about anything. People are obviously mentally disturbed and unable to reckon this very extreme dialectic of left vs. right. I know I went to University and the extreme leftist politics bothered me. Maybe I'm confused, I was raised conservative like I said, so many of those ideas might have echoed through my brain. I feel this situation is deliberately there to confuse people, that's what I feel.
I think our government is playing serious mind games with us. Most people just want to get along. ... I'm not hateful. I like other cultures, peoples. But I don't support laziness, abuse of welfare, burning down cities or violence etc....

I'm more what I would call as I said, a classical liberal.

I know this sounds crazy but it's as if when I was in Europe I was a liberal - when I came back to America it was easier to just be a conservative, probably because that's how I was raised and my circles. I just feel that regardless, Europe has it's act together more than us. I may be wrong about that, that's just a hunch of how I feel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob Corker’s interview was pretty interesting..... https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...ite-house-adult-day-care-center-trump-twitter. I loved the part about the WH becoming an adult day care center......

More republicans need to start speaking out and not care what Trump says in a Twitter tweet spree. I think they have forgotten that power is in numbers and if they would all band together things would be a lot different.....

Contacting your representatives when Trump tries to enact a law you fundamentally disagree with? Absolutely.

A flood of republicans all replying "get cancer" to a stupid tweet? Waste of time.
He can't enact a law through social media. He probably doesn't even read any of the replies. All you will find there are the white knight republicans waiting to defend his "honour". That's it.

Twitter is a horrible platform for social change. It's a horrible platform period.

It is the antithesis of extreme left/right idealism. All you can do is make a short statement. You can't effectively debate, ask questions or elaborate on an explanation. Any attempt at coherency is lost in the character limit. The more people being replied to, the shorter the message has to be.

Here's all the above^ condensed in a tweet for an example:
@potus You Suck!

The likely response:
@Neverthesame Get Cancer!

Yup that went well....

So I've been approached several times in the past couple weeks by people insisting on talking about politics with me. Three out of four of those times were with people who know me and know that I voted for President Trump. The last person was a stranger who I believe thought I "looked progressive" and had initiated a conversation with me about refugees and racism. When he discovered that I used to tutor refugees and had a lot of gay friends, I believe he mistook me as being on "his side." I only gave him non committal answers to his political talk because I don't talk about sensitive things with strangers, especially when I'm out with my child. The more non committal I was, the harder he pushed his points. I suppose he realized he miscategorized me when I did not "disavow." It made me really uncomfortable.

My uncle called me up and was telling me how exasperated he was about people not seeing through the president and his cabinet. He was just trying to "understand" it. He said he kept discussing it with people and it kept frustrating him. I tried to explain to him why *I* voted for the president, but this didn't seem to help. I suggested he read one of the president's books. He flew off the handle at this. I asked him if he was open to learning things that challenged what he already "knew" and he admitted he was not. I realized then that my uncle had been harassing people in an attempt to get them to change their minds. He was not interested in "understanding" anything, despite what he initially said. And this is what other people are trying to do to ME. I can't tell you how mad this made me.

As a lifelong atheist/Odinist who has happily lived among Christians, I have gotten used to avoiding sensitive topics, respecting others and having them respect me. This is America, where multiculturalism, freedom of belief, and freedom of expression are our fundamental tenets. It makes me sick the way that people have been behaving. I have been avoiding open support of our president, the flag, and our country in an attempt to not be bullied, but I'm not doing that any longer. I am a conceal carry permit holder, I have had multiple self defense classes, and I know how to defend myself. I have two undergraduate degrees and a graduate degree. I worked in fast food, factories, and then worked my way up to a managerial white collar job before I retired. I never used drugs, rarely drank, never used welfare once I was an adult and it was my choice. I believe in capitalism, secularism, and nationalism. I am done playing ignorant. No one is going to get me into these stupid political discussions any longer.

He was not interested in "understanding" anything, despite what he initially said.
I think this is a common problem, all the way around. And, it might be THE problem, when it comes right down to it.
When he discovered that I used to tutor refugees and had a lot of gay friends,
I'm honestly curious, because you've had the chance to know people in these groups as people. What do you think about us taking in refugees, and refugees in general and what to you think about gay rights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back