1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Using Quotes Within Your Posts

Discussion in 'Social' started by anthony, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

I would like to bring it to the attention of all members, STOP using the quote button to simply reply to general posts and conversations, because your using it INCORRECTLY.

The quote button is to quote a specific aspect of a post, or break a long post into sections and respond to each part of the post, the same rules apply to multi quoting.

People seem to be getting on some new fad, new members unknown more like, but are quoting entire posts to simply respond with a smilie and one or two words. I have been through removing a lot of recent nonsense in this regard.

I really don't want to be reading the same posts 10 times when viewing a thread, and I am damn sure not many others here want to either. Things have a purpose for use, then they can be abused. If you abuse any aspect of this forum for sheer laziness, I will ban you, it is as simple as that.

The forum is growning considerably, and I will control it more so, stricter as required, as people seem to want to move in their own directions, instead of following the patterns that are already layed for them, being the correct one's. I like a clean forum, not cluttered with shit, and I like to find what I am looking for quickly, without duplicate content quoted all over the place.

Again, it has its use, most of which is correctly, being to quote a line from a post, thread or third party, NOT THE ENTIRE POST IN FULL, but in part to reply is acceptable.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. ranger2_75

ranger2_75 Active Member

I haven't as yet tried to use it but would like to and don't know how.can you plesase give some directions for us not so computer litterate types?

Thanks

4. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

The "quote" button which is contained within every post at the bottom right, allows a person to quote a part of a that post, for example; as if your reading a post and you want to respond to a specific point (sentence) made within that post, then that post you are reading, you would click "quote" to do so. You will then be opened up into the editor, with the existing post contained betweeen "quote" tags. You then remove the non-essential parts of the post, keeping only the point you want to respond, and you leave that point enclosed within the quote tags that you will see, being an opening tag, and closing tag. The closing tag contains the / signalling to the system to close the quotation.

By default when using the quote button, the system will automatically insert the username of that person you are quoting, and the post will be linked that it came from. If a quote started with