1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Vertigo -- HELP!

Discussion in 'General' started by No-Twitch-Tabitha, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. No-Twitch-Tabitha

No-Twitch-Tabitha Well-Known Member

(Not the movie -- though I LOVE Hitchcock)

I have what they call objective vertigo -- where it seems like objects are spinning around me.

The attacks come and go, there isn't really a pattern that I've been able to discern. There are months when I have some symptom or another every single day, and then there are some months when I have maybe 1 or 2 attacks.

I had a really bad attack this morning when I woke up. I sat up in my bed and the room started spinning. I just thought I'd sat up too fast. So I sat, waiting for the room to stop.

And waited.

And waited.

It worried me enough to say something about it here. Is there anyone else here who has it? How do you lessen your symptoms. I've been told alternately there is treatment for vertigo, there is drug therapy (but I don't want to add yet another drug), there are exercises.

I have had some more symptoms since I've gotten to work (where I am now) and I'm at the point of asking to go to Employee Health Svcs to lie down.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. hodge

hodge I'm a VIP Premium Member Donated

I get vertigo in the mountains, on bridges, open staircases, balconies. Because mine is so situational I only have to deal with it when I'm in one of those places. So I try to avoid places like that, but I do like mountains under 3,000 feet (higher than that and I get altitude sickness) and my body does get used to them after a day or two. I haven't heard about treatments or exercises, beyond taking a motion-sickness medication.

If mine were as bad as what you describe, I would see the doctor about it. It does sound worrisome. Take care!

4. Seeking_Nirvana

Seeking_Nirvana I'm a VIP

I have vertigo randomly, but don't know what triggers it. Sometimes I think it's my medication?

Tammy

5. Marlene

Marlene I'm a VIP Premium Member

I had vertigo pretty badly a couple of years ago. I was fine as long as I didn't move my head. If I did, I'd get sick. The doctor told me that my allergies were causing issues with pressure that went into my balance center in my inner ear.

I agree with Hodge...go to the doctor and see if you're having some sort of inner ear problem. If could be an ear infection, allergies or a lot of other ear or sinus issues. Go find out what's causing the problem.

Good luck.
    Lisa

6. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

It could also be your blood pressure. Severe bouts of vertigo can be a sign of low blood pressure (fought with this one my whole life) and.. get this.. it can also be a sign of disassociation! Yep, don't know much more than that but my psych thinks all my dizzy spells and sometimes out right fainting, are from me disassociating from panic! So there's another possibility for ya.

I have no idea how to prevent them.. sorry wish I could help more.

bec

7. No-Twitch-Tabitha

No-Twitch-Tabitha Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies, guys...replies-guys...that rhymes!

Anyway, I had a friend at work as if it could be medication interactions. I'm on meds for asthma, allergies, high blood pressure, depression. anxiety, and GERD.

I thought about my allergies, but the vertigo symptoms don't fall to that pattern.

becvan -- what you said about dissociation...I was thinking about that. I am in emotional quicksand because of my cousins and uncle. I've been working on feeling my feelings instead of just automatically blocking them out, which is what I do and have been doing since I was little.

That is interesting -- I'll definitely look more into that possible connection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar