• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Very anxious about discussion classes at university

Status
Not open for further replies.

nessundorma

New Here
Hi Everyone,
I've been having such a hard time recently that I decided to re-join the forum after being off for a few years. I am currently a very old senior (my age has more 3s than 2s now) in college and it has taken me such a long time to get to this point. I am feeling very stressed and scared after my first week of classes. My anxiety is so bad that I'm in physical pain. I am on medicaid right now and can't afford therapy out-of-pocket, though I am going to get acupuncture later from a low-cost provider who has helped me relax in the past.

I am taking two classes related to my major this semester and two related to my minor. The two classes related to my major are fine. The ones relating to my minor are a different story. I don't have problems with the academic portion, but both classes rely heavily on discussing current events and I am TERRIFIED. One of the professors seems to be mostly unresponsive as well. I am not registered with disability services since I don't need academic accommodations, but I have been honest with professors about the PTSD in the past even though I have not told them why I have it (repeated instances of torture/abuse in hospitals, forced medication, rape, emotional abuse and neglect as a child.)

I keep trying to walk myself through this. I have options. I can drop the minor and still graduate on time. I can drop the class with the unresponsive professor and pick up an extra class next semester. I can try to stick it out. I am usually more resilient than my anxiety likes me to believe.

I think I just needed to get this out of my system because I'm scared and I don't have anyone to talk to. It is very difficult for me to deal with any classes handling current affairs because sometimes I do get triggered by things because of my fear. I tend to avoid the news at home though I have different tolerance levels for it at different times- right now is just one of those times where I am struggling.

That's all. Thanks for reading if you made it to the end of this

It is very difficult for me to deal with any classes handling current affairs because sometimes I do get triggered by things because of my fear. I tend to avoid the news at home

I choose not to view currant events because of how it makes me feel so sick to my stomach and hopeless and powerless. I can do it but for right now I am avoiding the news as well. I think that choosing not to take part in watching it is a respectable one.

It is very hard to watch anymore. So every once in a while I do watch what is going on, but it always ends up with me taking a break. I have enough problems in my real life and I just do not need the extra drama of what is going on around the world right now. I hope that this makes some sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back