1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Vet Center Visit - DVA Fraud

Discussion in 'Social' started by mac, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mac

mac Active Member

I went to the Vet Center the other day and as I was checking in at the glass window check-in. I noticed that an employee taped up a typed piece of paper. I read the short paragraph and it turns out the paragraph involved a successful trial pertaining to PTSD fraud committed by a Veteran and his wife. They both were found guilty and owe nearly $300,000 and face long jail time.
    I thought to myself, what a 'scumbag.'

I looked lower on the same piece of paper and an employee handwrote: "All Veteran's need to read this!! By Yolanda."

Now that pissed me off!:mad: I felt degraded as if I am looked at like a malingerer coming to try and get money, instead of the counseling that is offered. I'm too sick (cold) to keep arguing my position on this. I'd like to know how y'all would feel reading something along those lines at a therapists office? I might be too sensitive. Thanks:hello:

PS The Vet Center counselor did advise me to make a real start by taking a bath more often.:frown:

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Mate, people often look at me, even knowing I have PTSD, and ask me why I am not at work or something like that. Well, the simple answer is, anything much else that I cannot prepare myself for mentally, know is coming and I can control how much stress I am exposed, will knock me down for a good week, without a doubt. If I manage all stress exposure, I have no issues, but the moment I am exposed to stress, out like a light.

Obviously this couple decided they would fool the system, and not actually have PTSD, instead just reap the VA rewards. I know people here who try it, because soldiers being soldiers, they want a break, they want an easy way to sit back and relax without financial concern. Absolute dishonesty, no doubt... and I have had soldiers ask me how to get what I get, how to try and fool the system. They don't like being told you won't fool a trauma expert with PTSD. Someone less than, quite possibly, especially with such a focus on the issue nowadays, you sneeze and they try and diagnose you with something.

Getting past DVA here though... WOW, a tough job to say the least. I am one of about 130 full TPI approved veterans because the amount of operations I have been involved, obviously resulting the severity of my PTSD when out of control, hence why I get sick so easily if I don't control my life in all aspects. It disguists me though that someone does slip through the cracks... and it is these dishonest people that make it harder for the real sufferers to get the help they need, instead they get tied up in so much red tape.

4. YoungAndAngry

YoungAndAngry Well-Known Member

Hey mac,
    I hear your point, it would make me feel sort of "accused" before they even know me.

BUT... for over a year I have been going to Physical Therapy Rehabilitation,
    and every now and then I see the odd person who is faking or exagerating their injury for insurance purposes.

Honestly, it makes me sick to my stomach.
    I have to work sooo hard just to live my day-to-day life...
    and to have someone rub their 'scam' in my face...
    ...ohhh, I wish I could just punch or kick some sense into them!!

At least my Doc recognizes it quickly and ends their treatment immediatly!
    It's sad to say... but whenever I see one of those people kicked out... I can't help but feeling like 'justice has been served'.

Don't worry Mac,
    that note the employee handwrote on that article... was not meant for you.
    It was meant for that odd person that was trying to scam...
    ... hopefully make them think twice about what they are doing.

5. porkyrees

porkyrees Member

Mac I am an australian like Anthony and our DVA out here is very difficult to get through on the grounds of PTSD.I went through the system for 7years before my condition was accepted went before the appeals tribunal 5 times the last sitting ended up putting me in a mental institution.Its funny but if I had applied on the grounds of alcohol dependancy my claim would have been accepted sooner.I now come under a scheme called MRCS and its true if you dont have a physical dissability you are looked at differently to others.Regards Porky Rees.

6. rosered

rosered New Member

WOW !! Mac, I would be pissed too. There is no excuse for you having to read something like that.

7. rosered

rosered New Member

Keep your chin up, Mac.
    All of us with PTSD are too sensitive.
    I get angry because I still have a sister who thinks I'm faking PTSD to be able to retire from teaching ten years early. She has always hated working and I have always loved my job. It is more of a reflection on the doubting people than the ones who have a disability. Someone who would fake something for money naturally thinks others would do the same.
    In order to fake PTSD one would have to have intense knowledge about it and would be more likely to win an Academy Award than pull off faking PTSD for long.

8. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member

There is always someone abusing the system someway which makes it hard on the folks who really need the help. We will always have our "label" to deal with.

9. Scott_Fraser

Scott_Fraser Well-Known Member

Hey Mac, I would have kicked the Vet Centre Counsellor in the Balls if he said that to me, The Cheeky B"^*(%rd
    Scott