• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Victim's Compensation

Status
Not open for further replies.

metis-siren

Confident
Hey,

I've been slowly working my way through getting documents for a few years now, and doing the write up for the Criminal Injuries Compensation Board claim. I'm finally at the end of the road when it comes to getting everything sorted. It took quite a significant amount of time for me to get the medical documentation that I needed, but I finally have it. This thing is going to be a b*tch to photocopy for my personal records.

Moving on, I'm revising my details for injuries sustained, and I'm finding it very difficult, while going through all of the letters from my medical team that my chronic pain is completely related to the abuse I sustained as a child. After going through the hundreds (I'm not kidding) of pages of letters from counselors, doctors, etc - it kind of hits you like a wall how much this affects you.

I just finished going over my statement of what happened, and that was not easy - 3 pages, single spaced, computer processed, of what I went through. I feel dizzy from all of this. I think this is why it's taken so long for me to get through this. I'm making it my game plan to drop by a lawyer's office next week to get them to go over it (we've got lawyers around at our university, who have been trained in this area), though I don't know that I will have a lawyer for the quasi-trial.

I'm also going to apply that my step-father not be notified (which is typical protocol, so he can defend himself), as it poses a threat to my life - he's threatened to kill me and I have it in writing. Hopefully they will grant that. I'm also debating on applying for a paper trial, as I'm giving them ample documentation to do so.

Any experiences with this, or thoughts on how to best prepare myself would be greatly appreciated. Generally speaking, any thoughts would be appreciated.
"Until this moment, I never understood how hard it was to lose something you never had"Sincerely,

A. Lauren

Hi............i will continue to look through this post, I have a criminal injuries hearing next thursday so i will let you know what I experience. hope that may be of some help.
Take Care
Pandora

A, no idea really how to prepare for it, I'm not sure there is any blanket method... as all situations are people involved are so unique. I think all you can do is stay honest with yourself, talk about how you feel, what you feel, when you feel it, and work your way through it bit by bit. I believe its really just trial and error uniquely... I am sure you will work your way through this, but please remember, don't beat yourself up if you get ill as a result, as the stress caused would be immense to yourself at times, accept it, that is life with PTSD, though simply work your way through it and back to the surface once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back