1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vietnam Vet

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by matteam89, Nov 24, 2011.

1. matteam89

matteam89 New Member

My name is Rick. I served in Nam from january 1968 until January 1970.

My first assignment was with the 377th Combat support team. I was assigned to Graves registration. Assignment required helping in locating and retrieval of solders and their belongings. In March of 68 we had 3,000 body's to process. There is no way to describe effectfully what it felt like to see so many casualty's.

My unit was located north of Saigon at a place named Camp Redball. During the first three weeks of Tet we were constantly under attack. The guilt I felt in going home was so strong that I asked to stay in Nam and be transferred to a field unit. I was assigned to MACV and sent into the field as a Radio operator with a MAT team.

I was disagnosed with PTSD in 1990 by both Military and civilian doctors. At the time I chose not to ask the government for help as I was working and able to support myself and my family. I hated my government and especially the military.

I have been treated (medication) since 1990.

In 2004 I started to break down mentally and was hospitalized off and on for four months. Both military and civilian Hosp. At that time I applied for a PTSD rating and social security as I was unable to work. I received SSDI the first time out (5 months) The VA kept sending me forms to fill out and eventually I became so upset that I returned a requested paper and told them to stick it up their ass.

Approximately a year ago I reapplied and once again the paper work.

I have been hospitalized twice since this recent filing, (Military Hosp). The diagnosis is always the same, "major depressive disorder due to PTSD.

I believe I will eventually get my rating but would like to know if there is anything I can do to expedite this.

<Poll removed and paragraph breaks inserted by Amethist>
    19DLvr likes this.
  2. Sandra

Sandra New Member

Welcome to the forum.
  3. pi314159

pi314159 Need to make better decisions Premium Member

Welcome to the forum.

I am sorry to hear you are suffering.

Best of luck getting your rating as quickly as possible.
  4. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Who's trippin' now? Staff Member Premium Member

Hi matteam,

Welcome to the forum. I'm in the UK, and I know absolutely nothing about the VA, your social security system, or the rating system which you talk about.. But the good news is, we have another site completely dedicated to combat PTSD. Combat PTSD Forum

You are very welcome here on this site, but you might find that you get more relevant answers to specific military questions on the combat forum. I wish you well, and I hope that both forums will be beneficial for you.

Regards
    CB
    19DLvr likes this.