• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Viewing Violent News On Social Media Can Cause Trauma

Status
Not open for further replies.

myptsd

MyPTSD Pro
Viewing violent news events via social media can cause people to experience symptoms similar to post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Dead Link Removed

Last edited by a moderator:
On a visceral level, I hate this.

On a pragmatic level; 189 participants. "Similar to" includes a few dozen other disorders. (Why not say "Similar to GAD, or ASD, or any other anxiety related disorder"? Hype & headline grabbing). Participants screened for trauma but not other disorders or conditions. All make me doubt this.

I'm clearly biased, however. Because watching a thing on a screen, working yourself up? Is nothing like living through it.

Did I misread the DSM?

I thought one needs to be viewing such materials as part of a professional role to qualify for vicarious traumatisation. The idea being that exposure to such media is not really avoidable. A police investigator having to view images of terrible crimes for example. While the rest of us who stumble upon horrible types of media on our parusal of the Internet, have the option of clicking the little X in the corner should we happen upon something we find upsetting. The police investigator on the other hand must press on, in order to do their job. Or am I mistaken?

This probably sounds like a bit of a rant, but I am genuinely asking.

@Anarchy But your going to love Twitterzine hydrochloride. FDA approved for the treatment of Post Social Media Stress Disorder. A new and fashionable disease taking the nation by storm. Talk to your doctor to see if this medication is right for you.
Side effects include:
- Drowsiness
- Excitability
- Headache
- Somnolence
- Nausea
- Hypertension
- Hypotension
- Pneumothorax
- Incontinence
- Accommodation
- Lacromation
Consult your physician if you experience the following, rarely seldom but serious side effects:
- Glaucoma
- Seizures
- Myocardial Infarction
- Sepsis
- Lactation (male)

If while taking Twitterzine, you begin to experience the feeling of the drug actually doing what it is marketed to do. Please consult a mortician.

Visit our website to receive a valuable printout to give to your doctor. Plus a coupon for £10 off your first purchase. You will also receive a stylish pair of earplugs so you can drown out the pessimistic nonsense your doctor may attempt to tell you.

This was a rant. Ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back