1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Vimy Ridge Memorial Ambivallence

Discussion in 'Military & Emergency Services' started by Deadman, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Deadman

Deadman Well-Known Member

Today is the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge. It was a defining moment in Canadian national identity so the news is full of coverage of the ceremony at Vimy.

I went to the memorial when I was a young soldier. I felt proud then. Proud of the Canadians who fought and died there. Proud of the ones who survived.

Now I'm old and bitter. I'm not sure what I feel. The news is full of talk of courage, sacrifice and heroes. Its odd for Canadians. We don't normally do that and I think I know why its easier for Canadians to honour those who fought at Vimy Ridge.

Dead heroes can't disappoint you. They are safely gone and buried. You don't have to see any of them begging for change so they can buy another shot to kill the pain. You don't have to feel discomfort when you see the missing limb. You don't have to feel guilty when you see them living in a cardboard box in the park. You don't have to see them on the evening news begging for the police to shoot them.

You don't have to live with them and wonder why changed so much. Why they can't move on. You don't need to look in their eyes and see the pain. You don't need to see the truth of it. You don't need to see me or any of my inconveniently human brothers and sisters.

Dead heroes can't disappoint you.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. The Albatross

The Albatross Product of decisions rather than circumstances Premium Member Sponsor $100+

Flipped it reads.... "I'm not sure what I feel." "... I'm old and bitter." You opened up with courage and sacrifice and heros... and just went to heros... dead heros.

I've supported a military charity every single year since my discharge (in one way or another either time or $$$) since my discharge in 1983. I have also had a green porch light (for US service members/veterans) and flown a flag since the first boots hit the ground in Afghanistan and have retired 22 flags since (even though it's been about 17 years, though I don't have a flag pole at the moment due to changing places - I got my flag displayed and people know why - which assists awareness. That's not ambivalence, that's doing what you can to change things for military veterans.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017