• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Vision Shifts And Dissociation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for that link, @shimmerz !
Now that I know I have CFS, I understand the light sensitivity better, and this explains a great deal about why I find it very stressful to drive at night when there is oncoming traffic, or bright street lights, and why I get triggered in various ways in different lighting conditions (happens with sound too, and temperature, and smells). And I also know where the weird swimmy spiraling stuff comes from--when I go into a dissociative state with my eyes open and staring at one spot and I can make it stop if I can ground by forcing my eyes to focus on different things (it's actually kind of cool though, like a visual hallucination!) Some of the other weird stuff is from visual migraine (also kind of cool once you know what it is). I also kind of get what happens when I close my eyes and see things behind my eyelids--not imagination or parts stuff, but something else. It doesn't scare me anymore now that I know what's happening.

As for general eye issues, I've never quite figured it out. May have something to do with the fact that my eye pressure sort of hovers on the brink of glaucoma. My vision has settled for the most part into a never-quite-see-perfectly-but-okay-enough mode. I wear single-vision lenses now and just perch readers of different strengths on top. I look ridiculous, but it works okay (someone actually asked if they could take my picture when they saw me with the double glasses, LOL!) And sometimes I see okay enough up close with no glasses at all if I'm working for short periods. I am about to order a special magnifier light to help me with some of the intricate handwork I do, and I am trying to get better about taking breaks from the "screen" every half hour (which is important for me to do anyway so I don't tip over into manic computer use and exhaust myself!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back