• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Visualization And Therapy

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is all so very helpful! Still, more questions...

When one is on hyperalert, going beyond the body is really difficult
Yes, this makes sense. I'm stuck in hyperalert mode. Have been for many years, I think, which is probably why the PTSD finally brought me to my knees. Just systemic exhaustion.

can think of a safe place in all its detail using all my senses but when I need to go to that place in therapy or elsewhere I cant quite get there or I'm there but things don't seem right, something is different about it.
Yes, this happens to me too. Although, my "place" sort of shifts and changes all the time, so when I really need it, it can be confusing to find.

I don't have a "safe place" and I question the seemingly universal focus on that idea. Instead I visualise things like being strong and being protected. That might be me protecting myself - for example myself as a warrior or strongwoman of some kind. It might be something else protecting me, like light, or a magical animal, or an imaginary bodyguard.
This is really key. I agree with you. I have had success doing this that I talked about in my diary...managed to imagine I was protected by a very special "bat cape" which does sometimes help keep me feeling safe from my mother who I have to see and talk to all the time, and who is/was one of my "abusers" (still trying to process that). However, what I am talking about here is the need for a safe place to keep me safe from myself--all the inner demons which are far worse than anything outside of me in my life at the moment. Which is a good thing for which I am thankful...but a HUGE problem, nonetheless.

I should add that I don't think the thing about safety is to get distressed and then go to a safe place. I think it's about starting in a place of safety and being there throughout the difficult things that are being addressed.
Yes, you're right about this. But what do you do when you are distressed? I'm struggling with this...sometimes I don't notice the signals of encroaching distress until it's too late and I'm totally triggered.

When my T asked me to imagine a specific time when I felt safe, I couldn't find one. I told him I don't ever remember feeling safe.

I haven't been asked to do this, but if I was this would have been my reply. Not that there weren't times where I was safe, but I certainly never felt it. Even now I don't ever feel truly safe.

I realised from other peoples posts that I actually do have a 'safe place' though. Its set in the future. Its basically its a bunker which is completely sealed and self contained and I can survive there indefinitely not needing any additional resources. When I go there, I don't just go and 'hang out'...that wouldn't work for me. I go there and re-design my bunker...I work on improving the floor plan...the details of food storage, waste management etc....over the years I have quite a good design but I'm still endlessly improving it. I actually fantasise that one day I will build such a bunker, and so my designs are heavily based in reality (eg assuming limited funds, and having to physically build it myself).

I have never thought to use it when I'm in a particularly bad state (I must give it a go), but I do use it when I'm okay-ish but wanting some distraction or when trying to go to sleep (sleep never comes easily to me).

I hope that helps some of you that are not sure how to find their own 'safe place'. I think the fact that mine is set in the future is important for me as I plan, at some point in the future, that I will feel safe.

Hey @ghotiff I could really use someone who builds on my island one day. I know it is supposed to be our own place but in my world I can invite people? Wanna come with me sometime? I could use a kick-ass builder and I am sure we could have a good time together!

Absolutely... Maybe I can move my bunker onto your island, that way I can come outside every now and then and see the sunlight. :)

The first quote is from something @Hope4Now wrote, if that helps. The first post to this thread includes two quotes from what she said on the Splitting thread.

However, what I am talking about here is the need for a safe place to keep me safe from myself--all the inner demons which are far worse than anything outside of me in my life at the moment.

I'm sorry, I'm confused about what this means since I don't know what inspired this thread. I was just replying to what's here.

@Hope4Now, perhaps you could post a relevant quote of yours from the different thread that inspired this? Or put in a link to the thread/post?

Or, @shimmerz do you know that if you go to the original thread and use the "quote" function, then you can copy what appears in your reply box (before you "post reply") and paste it into a different thread like this one?

I'm a bit lost.

The link to the original post is above. No I didn't know that @Hashi, - I wish I had at the time but I feel if I start cutting and pasting now people will be even more lost as I cannot edit that original post at this time.

Sorry, @shimmerz, I missed that link.

If it's in the context of the idea of an inner child, I'm afraid I don't conceptualise things that way so can't comment. My world view is in archetypes rather than inner child/children.

If it was about visualisation or psychic protection in general I'd be happy to discuss.

Hi @Hashi, yes originally the topic went onto inner child but in fact we created this posting not in dealing with inner child issues but instead to talk about the benefits of visualization as far as a therapy strategy. To self soothe by creating through visualization a 'safe place'. There was interest as to how to visualize 'a safe place' as a therapy model and how those of us have done it, used it etc. So I think it is not necessary that you prescribe inner child work, that was really just the preamble to this topic.

This topic is about visualization and psychic protection so I hope you feel free to join in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back