• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Vitamin B Supplements

• Thread starter Deleted member 1860
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 1860

I know that we're told that supplementing with B vitamins is supposed to help our anxiety, but an excess of B vitamins just adds to my anxiety as these are energizing vitamins.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this experience?

It took me a while to find a B multi that only had 100% of various B vitamins instead of 5000% like many of these supplements do. But once I did, success! I can now supplement with a NORMAL amount of B's and not throw my system into chaos. But hey, in the vitamin world, if 100% of your RDA is good, then anything more is that much better! Lol, not so much...

Yeah, you know I've found this too. I've always been a believer in B complex vitamins going way back due to the fact I was always a smoker so I knew I needed the supplement. Then I was always worried about weight so I thought it was a great thing to use as well, however, you bring up an excellent point, I have had to cut back as my sky rocketing anxiety lately has gotten the better of me and the addition of the C vitamins they put in is causing me to have sores in my mouth, the citric acid...weird. I am guessing weight changes make a big difference as well.

I've been taking vitamin B to keep myself awake during early morning classes, so maybe the two factors cancel eachother out somewhat :p. I'm finding as I take them regularly I'm having more energy on a regular basis.

On the flip side, I took one of those 5-Hour Energy drinks, which are apparently just pure vitamin B with some caffeine, once and it burned my throat on the way down and about 45 minutes later I felt dizzy. Maybe there is a certain benchmark where it starts to negatively effect you, which I imagine would be different for each person.

B Vitamins, to which there are 7 different ones, are pretty much categorized as metabolic activators. They are used by the body to synthesis proteins, red blood cells, and the ever important fetal development. Because they increase metabolic activity, they would probably be a poor bet for reducing anxiety. I have personally never read any literature indicating they are useful for that.

Hope that helps!

I have looked into nutritional information for a long time now and have found most supplements to be a sketchy help at best, in terms of boosting the peaceful/soleful abilities of our minds. I eventually began looking into 'whole food' therapy (fruit, nuts, seeds, vegetables). My conclusion is if it doesn't grow in the ground, or from a tree, then it probably won't be of much good for us.

I found that magnesium in green vegetables does the most good for anxiety ( I am not versed with the 'roots' like valeron, however). Magnesium gives me inner resistance to hyperness. Possibly a magnesium supplement would work also.

ScaredofLonely, I haven't had this experience with B vitamins per se, but with another energizing supplement (before I knew I had PTSD). I was taking a weight loss supplement that did have some added B vitamins, and it did add to my anxiety terribly.

I'm reminded of the old adage "Everything is best in moderation."

I take vitamin supplements. My multivitamin has vitamin B in it. I also eat brown bread and marmite which is high in vitamin B. I find it also lifts my mood and helps with depression. I take the contraceptive pill which can deplete vitamins, especially vitamin B, so I was told it is a good idea to take a multivitamin. It does not effect my anxiety in any way. I find I get anxious when I am triggered by something environmental that brings bad back memories rather than vitamins. I find if my blood sugar level drops low I become very very anxious though.

As said above though, everything in moderation.

I have tried both magnesium and a B complex. Neither seemed to have any effect. I have just started flexerall. I am tired of these painful stressed back muscles!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back