• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Voc rehab suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike W

New Here
I have an appointment with voc rehab in September to determine my eligibility in the program. I'm supported by my doctor and mental health worker, and was eligible in the past so I'm fairly confident I'll be approved.
My problem is I have no idea what field I want to go into. My work experience is mostly call centres, with volunteer experience in crisis centres and phone lines. I worked as a security dispatcher for 4 years but that was so triggering it led to a major psychotic meltdown and I can't use that job as a reference which leads to a big hole in my work history and pretty much rules out working in an emergency response (911) call centre.
I have a Certificate in Applied Counselling but that alone doesn't qualify me for a lot of jobs. I'm thinking of taking a course that would help me get a job as a 311 operator, or working in an insurance call centre.
I don't want to go into my appointment with no clue of courses I need to take or without any career direction. I have been off work for a year and a half, am still struggling with C-PTSD, getting meds balanced and the fallout from my last job. I have bad social anxiety and have pretty much been under self imposed house arrest for 18 months.
I'm almost 50 years old and not physically fit so a career as a disability support worker would not be a good fit, plus I am easily triggered in many situations, so I'm looking for a career with a safe, predictable desk setting.
Has anyone had experience with voc rehab to share and/or any advice on career paths that might be suitable?
Thanks

I went to Voc Rehab years ago. I had no idea what to do so I just started with typing. They should be able to work with you on the career planning, but maybe more of a customer service type position rather than the triggering stuff. Something administrative, clerical...
I used to recruit for jobs where the manager would tell me the position would be monotonous. That might be what you need.
Depending on your financial needs, even data entry could be a good thing for you.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back