• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Waking The Tiger

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reviews tend to indicate that it might be better for Sufferers. However, I often find that I can read books written for sufferers and apply back to supporting.

I however have not read it...

Bear

This guy speak to me. It's marvelous. It is for sufferers, supporters, mental heath workers and any one who is interested. His idea is that wild animals do not suffer from ptsd. But they must get terrified too. The answer is that they do not.

When the gazelle flees from the cheetah. It either escapes or is caught. When it realises it is going to a terrible death it's dissociates. What we see, it the gazelle falling in terror. It seems to accept the inevitable. deeply in dissocation, it will not be aware of its awful death

Some times the gazelle recovers while the cheetah is busy calling it's cubs. It flees again and flees for its live. When the cheetah gives up the race, the gazelle stops and does a strange thing. It starts twitching and shaking.

Interesting. The idea is that it is pocessing its nerves, its brain, its nervous system. The gazelle is not at all embarrassed to be seen doing this. So why humans ?

Now consider this Cheetahs are supreme predators. They know exactly how to act. The gazelle also knows how to act.

But we have neither the claws and teeth of the cat, nor the speed of the gazelle. We are confused, should we run or fight ? I am not explaining this well. YOU MUST READ THIS BOOK.

If you find that, read this good article. But beware, this guy has expensive therapy to steer you into. I saw this. Then I read every reply is any clues, and the I read that is just a sort of therapy that you can get for free..

Its called Vipassana Meditation. Now google this. This is available all over the world.
Happy Now!

wicked child, I'm afraid I can't agree with what you've said.

I'm a sufferer/trauma survivor and the book "Waking the Tiger" helped me greatly. It's about somatic experiencing, which Peter Levine developed. I couldn't find a somatic experiencing practitioner where I am, but I found a craniosacral therapist (with experience of trauma other than birth trauma) and that's very similar. It has been a key part of recovery for me.

I could not have got the same result from Vipassana meditation, and this kind of meditation would have been extremely dangerous for me. I'm not exaggerating. There are all sorts of psychological and psychical effects of trauma, and any kind of meditation was something I had to be very, very careful about. Especially anything about tuning into body feelings/senses, because my body was holding some feelings and senses that were beyong bearing - it was not a good idea to try to naively tune into that. I had some very bad experiences before I realised that. But even leaving that aside, it's absolutely not the same thing as somatic experiencing or craniosacral therapy.

I'm sorry, but I think Vipassana meditation as a self help for trauma survivors is inappropriate and risky. I'm not commenting on Ben Fry. I know nothing about him.

I really recommend the book "Waking the Tiger" to any sufferer, and imagine it would help supporters understand as well. Peter Levine has written a more recent book which I understand is more up to date with his understanding of trauma work. I haven't read it so can't comment on it, but it's called "In an Unspoken Voice: How the Body Releases Trauma and Restores Goodness".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back