• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Waking Up Feeling "out Of It" And The Day Is Ruined

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneWing

Learning
In my traumatic situation I was knocked unconscious and awoke to a beautiful sunny day, after a moment I oriented and realized I was in a complete nightmare. I'll spare details as to not trigger anyone.
But now, when I wake up to a beautiful day I often feel "out of it", sort of groggy, I have difficulty concentrating, generally lacking motivation to do anything, depression hits.
I think about waking up on that beautiful day and getting ready to go to the beach, how relaxed we were right up until the moment the car accident happened. How a perfect day turned into a bloody nightmare.
Everything was so normal, so peaceful. We weren't in a place of danger, we were in a place of comfort. So now, I am beginning to forget even the feeling I used to have of "waking up" and just laying peacefully in bed.
The nightmares suck, waking up with some level of anxiety every night sucks. But for me the worst are days like today, when I just feel like I'm a ghost trying to distract myself from memories. Home alone with a long list of things that I probably should be doing, but somehow never getting started.

Am I alone in this sort of feeling? It isn't every day, but some days are just like this.

Yep. Some days are definitely just like that.

I go one of two ways...

Either shake myself by the scruff of the neck, blast some music, take a hot shower, and bust out my life. Keep busy. Do exactly what I don't want to do.

-or-

Declare a snow day. Cancel all the plans for the day, let myself totally off the hook, wrap up in a blanket, and plug myself in to something lovely (books, movies, games, sleep), and just recharge.

Both can be exactly what's called for, and both can make things infinitely worse. If I try and push too hard I can end up losing at least that entire day (if not a week or three), and if I sink like a stick through water into depression, I can lose whole days/ weeks/ months, as well.

How a perfect day turned into a bloody nightmare.. Everything was so normal, so peaceful. We weren't in a place of danger, we were in a place of comfort..

he nightmares suck, waking up with some level of Link Removed every night sucks. But for me the worst are days like today, when I just feel like I'm a ghost trying to distract myself from memories. Home alone with a long list of things that I probably should be doing, but somehow never getting started.

Yes, similar circumstances & similar fall-out.

Welcome to you.

Yes..I'm the opposite, it's rainy days that I have problems with..being shut in the house with abusive parents on those days, in the past. I moved from Scotland to England and has certainly helped a lot, less rain down here. I turn the music up on those days, so to speak..make that little bit effort to make myself feel good. It took me years to realise what the problem was but once I realised It helped a lot.

You are not alone! I would venture to say that many of us wake up 'out of sorts'...no predictable reason...it just happens. I handle the day as best I can, which is sometimes staying in bed as much as possible. I am blessed with the ability to sleep when I'm comfortable and cozy in bed. Not always the best thing but I avoid the day that way.

Yes, I used to have short bouts of ptsd symptoms, and could usually get back in the saddle, but now I can lose months at a time. 2012 was totally lost in fact, and it's since then that I can't seem to maintain my 'stability'.

It's so strange how symptoms of PTSD can appear years after an incident. It was a year before my PTSD really manifested it'self outside of the range of what could be considered "normal" ways to process a traumatic event.

@OneWing wow you described how i feel today perfectly. Its so horrible. Ive just been having these thoughts, i guess processing the trauma. Today I had a flashback and Im just like a ghost now. I have so much to do but I cant. Im so out of it.

Yep. Some days are definitely just like that...If I try and push too hard I can end up losing at least that entire day (if not a week or three), and if I sink like a stick through water into depression, I can lose whole days/ weeks/ months, as well.

I know this an old thread, but it describes so perfectly what is happening for me nowadays. I can go to bed feeling relatively fine and wake up in a pit I often find it impossible to climb out of. A moment or two of okay-ness on waking and then BAM!!! Spiralling down into dissociation, often for a few days. Has got to the stage that, if I'm feeling okay, the fear of the night and of waking in despair is enough of a stressor to make it a self-fulfilling fear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back