• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Waking Up Very Hungry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andre

Confident
Over the past two weeks I have been waking up frequently at night, and most times I have been very hungry. I know the techniques to improve the quality of sleep but this part of being hungry is what I am curious about. Does this happen to anyone else? I have tried eating large meals at dinner and several partial dinners through the evening but neither of these really stop the hunger I have only a few hours later-hunger that can take me from dreaming to being fully awake almost instantly. A few times I have been so hungry that I felt too weak to get up to find food and so have tried to go back to sleep for a while. It takes some time to go back to sleep and my sleep after this has been short and I repeat waking until I do manage to get up and find something to eat. I do not really feel especially disoriented excepting that usual small amount for just waking up. I am not heavily active right now so I do not understand how I am eating this much food. Could some kind of unconscious shaking while I sleep be using enough calories to leave me hungry after eating twice what I had been eating before? This is disturbing as otherwise my sleep has been improving significantly lately. Has anyone else faced this and settled it?

Does your stomach hurt at all Andre? I used to be hungry like that and woken up by hunger when I had a bleeding ulcer. But I also had pain at the same time.

I am not sure Evie. Sometimes I have problems feeling things physically. I know that I have been hungry, and there is a dull pain that I associate with hunger-but I think that is just the normal degree that is part of hunger itself. I imagine your pain from having the ucler was very sharp. Was that pain ever masked by other sensations? I am going to try to look up information on peptic ulcers now. It would be very inconvenient if it is an ulcer causing this. Has anyone experienced anything like this kind of hunger in other situations, from other causes? Does anyone know anything more about ulcers generally that might help determine if it is the cause, and what kinds of things I could do about it if it is?

Ulcer pain isn't sharp, it's usually a dull, gnawing, or burning pain. Sometimes, for me anyways, it just felt like extreme hunger, which was alleviated when I ate. Then about an hour later the pain would start again. If you don't find any other cause for what's going on, I would suggest you go to the doctor to get it checked out. If it is an ulcer, they're generally easy to treat with medication.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back