• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Walking Alone In The Woods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady of Longbourn

MyPTSD Pro
Would you walk alone in a state park by yourself, into the woods?

I really love going to national parks and battlefields but they normally have paths in the woods that you walk on and see more sites. Normally this can make me very nervous because I worry about someone hurting me and so far my therapist and I are unsure about how unsafe/safe this is: A woman walking alone in the woods. It makes me angry that it's something I can't do (both in terms of safety and anxiety) and then of course, I'm aware I must be safe and use common sense.

The last time I did this I thought to myself how many people visit this park and even though I was alone, I thought about how it's not a dangerous place (family place). I thought about how people come by there every few minutes. There are park rangers etc.

What do you think?

It's weird because it could be seemingly unsafe but I feel safe where there aren't people....but nature...I feel like the trees will protect me. That's sort of bullshit, but if I have any sense of "god" or "protection" it's probably in nature. I got this when I was little and could really roam off on my own into the woods and feel like myself. As for going hiking into the woods on my own as an adult, I don't think about it. Or bring mace (for bears or people). And a pretty useless knife. But to be honest, my dog is always with me and probably does way more to make me feel safe than I even realize.

Please don't answer this on open forum as I gather some parks get all sniffy about it, and I don't want you incriminating yourself.

Do you carry?

If you don't yet, have you considered it?

No, but I wish I could bring myself to do it. I find nature very calming sometimes. Calming when its quiet and still, not so much when its raging and violent! Although I do love a good electrical storm and sometimes the wind can be really beautiful. There are no bears or other dangerous creatures around here, my only fear is of other humans. Im afraid someone would take advantage of the opportunity to harm me without any witnesses around.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back