• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Wanting to be badly hurt or ill so i can be in a hospital

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have felt like this. For me, part of it was need to be cared for, but there was another part that was a need for validation. If I was in the hospital and dealing with a physical illness, then I felt like what was happening to me was real and understandable. And I don't mean external validation.

I have felt like this. For me, part of it was need to be cared for, but there was another part that was a need for validation.

I completely get this need for validation. I have had days when I feel too overwhelmed and scared to move, yet I find it more comfortable telling my boss that I have a sickness bug because I consider that a "real" problem.

I think the idea of lying in hospital - having people around and taking care of you - gives that validation that your problems are real. I have considered checking myself into a psych ward just to get away from my own life for a while, but I keep telling myself not to because I don't want to waste NHS resources.

I totally get where you're coming from though.

Had this feeling yesterday and today. I'm feeling neglected in my relationship due to another illness in the family. The hospital does seem inviting for all of the reasons stated, caring, nurturing....validation...my SO has been a real jerk since all of this started so the neglect is worse...neglect, depression shame..,,ugh

sometimes I will have daydreams or fantasies that I always ignored in the past. but I read somewhere to pay attention to your fantasy life or daydreams as they reveal something about your growth; so I was stopping and paying attention to a spaced out daydream and the theme is usually along these lines that something tragic happened and I ended up in the hospital or something. I thought about it and I do believe the abuse, the traumas, and lack of care causes me to have these daydreams or "wishes" The Meaning is "I feel a need to be seen as a victim." It is not the same thing as wanting people to feel sorry for me or receive sympathy. I'm fiercely independent since I was a kid and I don't want to give that up in real life. But when dealing with the trauma and letting it out in the open, especially in therapy, all kinds of crazy feelings and wishes come out. When intensely honest with myself this theme of wanting to be seen as a victim surfaces. I allow myself to feel that; don't shame myself for it; mourn for the lack of care I received; and then I'm happy that I overcame a lot of shit. Like a lot of shit ... yay me.

I used to feel that way and my T at the time said if I needed respite, to take it in my room. She was a bitch but that made sense. I sometimes take a day and just relax in my room with no outside interference. It helps a lot. Now I take an hour a day for respite. Also, because I did try to kill myself and took pills, I have kidney disease. Not fun. I worry all the time, so please don't take chances.

I also get these feelings, I do have a close family but I think its just the thought of wanting to escape daily struggles and responsibilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back