• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Washington D.c. Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashdawn8287

MyPTSD Pro
Apparently the guy who did the mass shooting at the Navy Yard in Washington D.C. (Killing 12) has PTSD. I did not like how the article I read talked about PTSD. He also had a traumatic brain injury, which they casually mentioned. Not posting the link to the article because I don't think they highlighted it right and I don't want to rely information like that.

I am curious to see how this plays out in the news.

Reading other articles now. The one I am talking about was by far the worst article. The other ones are okay.

Some saying he had PTSD from the Afghanistan war, other sources say he rescued people in the 9/11 attacks. So who knows what is true and what is not. Ugh news.

Like the NSA leaker Snoden, this guy should have not been able to pass a security clearance. Another "contractor" as well. The claims about PTSD have not yet been substantiated, but if true it just lends credence to the fact that people with mental health diagnosis should not be able to own a weapon.

The gong is banging again on 2nd amendment rights right on cue.

Not sure I'll spend much time following this story.

Yeah agreed. I think I am done reading about it. Just hoping friends and family don't come at me with all this just because I have PTSD.

I don't trust the news much anyways.

I did find it interesting, however, that the initial descriptions of the shooter during the incident did not include (as is so typical of Europe these days) ethnicity. Apparently it is not politically correct in the U.S. anymore (with the exception of George Zimmerman who was incorrectly identified as "white", then "white hispanic" both being wrong) to specify general physical appearance such as "white, black, hispanic, etc."

That was one "take away" that I noted.

Oh wow nice catch! I did not even notice that! Thanks for telling me. That is good to hear/know! Makes me very happy!!

I think that if it is a trend it will make a positive identification based on a description (where no photo is available) of a criminal that eludes law enforcement much more difficult for the average citizen. Particularly when they want tips.

I don't know... that's just where my mind goes.

Initially in this case though, when more than one shooter was suspected, I expect it was difficult for law enforcement. Unless of course more direct communication was on "official channels".

Yes agreed.

I recently participated in this psychology research participant study that a former psychology professor of mine was doing. I answered all these questions about race and ethnicity and then based on my answers was invited to go to campus and do the second part of it.

The second part there was a group of us and we had to watch slides. We were asked to rate our feelings based on ONLY the abstract black and white art that was shown, but before the abstract art slide came up and picture of a person showed up. We were suppose to ignore those photos of the people and base our feelings off the art only. I picked undecided to all 60 slides, the art was like the same photo just different angles.

After we did the slide show, we were told we were being studied for being biased. I thought it was pretty cool. I know some of the other people who did it with me had marked pleasant and unpleasant. I was like ha they tricked you.

I did find it interesting, however, that the initial descriptions of the shooter during the incident did not include (as is so typical of Europe these days) ethnicity. Apparently it is not politically correct in the U.S. anymore

Maybe not so PC amongst news reporters, but racism as a whole is getting worse. The backlash against miss America is disgusting.

CNN's ticker was concentrating on how the shooter suffered from PTSD since 9/11. Instead of feeling sad I started to feel paranoid and afraid - is PTSD the next scapegoat and the next media sensation target? I hope not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back