• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Washington Eyes "cola" Reform For Social Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricanoland

Confident
"The Republican plan to avert the "fiscal cliff" that the White House rejected Monday includes at least one element that's likely to produce controversy: a proposal that would, among other things, affect the cost of living adjustment for Social Security."

http://www.npr.org/2012/12/04/166524043/republican-plan-would-change-social-security-cola <<< Link Here.
Is anyone else concerned about the changes suggested in a possible budget deal before year's end? (which I stress may or may NOT happen) I have been speaking to people off forum that work on behalf of the disabled through lobbying in Washington, they claim this along side the failure to pass the U.N disabilities treaty (which was based off of the landmark Americans with Disabilities Act) shows a new Era of Washington where the needy are not fully protected. What do you think? Should COLA be reform? Does this impact you personally?

We are on SSI and we will be affected. It will affect us. My husband cannot work anymore because he has dementia. I am his caregiver and with him twenty four seven. I have not made enough money to collect SSI. And I will not be eligable until I am sixty five to collect half of my husbands SSI if he dies before that. I do not understand COLA. I do not know much about politics I do not think. I just feel a sinking feeling.

I do not understand COLA. I do not know much about politics I do not think. I just feel a sinking feeling.

COLA is that slight raise every year the SSI gives so you can help keep up the cost of milk and other basic food needs. COLA (Cost of Living Adjustment) as I understand the current plan if the deal is agreed to between the House and President. Social Security would not be able to set the COLA rates per year, and congress would be in charge of that now, given the huge budget cuts expected in the coming years COLA doesn't look to be very in tone with the coming "Cost of Living"

Normally I keep my politics to myself, but I was just shocked to see something so personal to me in Washington that will bluntly affect so many people, in a negative way, the people that need help, not less.

Thank you for the information. I see that it is the way of the future. Yes I do not know how people live off of only social security. We get a disability check for a insurance company. It really makes the difference for us. We have a nice cushion to protect us but we are not spending like we used to either. We only write checks out for the bills. I really appreciate you mentioning this a lot.

This is very disheartening to me. The amount that SSI increases each year is not a lot to begin with. I'm on disability. I count on my check to help my family out. It is not even half of what I use to make when I could work...but every little bit helps.

Thanks for bringing me this awareness.

I did notice that congress and federal employees did get a raise this year, or will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back