• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Wearing the same clothes everyday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it is a bit of a thing right now to wear the same things. There was a little while where every news-ish website did an article about how Mark Zuckerberg and Steve Jobs had tons of identical clothes that they wore every day. Capsule wardrobes always have a lot of clothes in them, but there are those too.

I have comfort cardigans. They're really convenient because they always come in a bunch of different colors and are usually sold all winter, so you don't have to buy a bunch of clothes at once. If you to to a Target or Walmart type of store, they might have the same ones for sale next year, too.

Have to dress professionally for work too, and it's a pain, especially with certain overpaid colleagues that think well dressed equals brand names, but the mix and match can work quite well as has already been mentioned,
Multiple Jackets, and multiples of similar work pants, they don't have to be expensive, just easy to clean, with a set of 5 to 10 similar work tops of varying colors and hey variable work wardrobe, with maybe one extra special top to throw people off every know and then.
If you can take your jacket off during most of the day, you could probably get by with just 2.
My personal rule is, if you like it, and it's not expensive, get a few...
and don't buy anything white unless you like doing separate loads of washing...

Yup I do this too., mixture of safety blanket protecting my body from male attention and feeling like a piece of shit that should stay hidden but I'm determined to break through these barricades by summer to wear summin nice for my hubby. I know if I put in serious effort now i can get there for summer.

I was just worrying about this myself, now I feel better. I gave away my work clothes to a teacher and another gal who just got promoted and needed a business wardrobe. I was happy to do that. I have lots of casual clothes, but I wear the same few sets. I wear different pajamas every night, though. I love my soft, warm pajamas.

I am a jeans and tee shirt person. That's all I wear. I have at least 12 pairs of jeans and at least 30 tees. I change my shirt everyday, but jeans every couple of days. I don't give a rats ass what other people think about my clothes, and I don't give a rats ass what they wear. There's just too many things more important to think about.

I put even more layers on to sleep to act as a barrier. I've never not shared a bed and wonder if it would be different if I slept alone. I never buy clothes simply accumulate them; one humans rubbish is another humans treasure and all that but u ntill yesterday apart from my two pairs of safe traccies (I'm a UK size 6 and yet somehow convince myself I'm a greedy disgusting swamp monster) I would hide my scavenged treasures (which include some dresses that my daughter would deem fit for a princess let alone an ex tramp such as myself) but yesterday in the spirit of trying to be a strong missus and mummy I emptied my scavenged treasures over the hotel room floor we currently call home and f*cking well hung them up in a wardrobe!#* I was shivering with fear as this was hugely triggering. I grew up being taught there was a demon inside of me and was dressed in pretty dresses for priests to perform agonizing excercisms so just hanging these scavenged goodies up caused fear and regression. I have not yet been brave enough to wear any but I completed the task without having a meltdown and have left the wardrobe door open so at least the cloths are no longer hidden away like a dark secret of the past. No more unnecessary secrets necessary ones only.

I changed to only wearing black or white or brown pants and a shirt and in winter I even started cutting off the bottoms of the long tops here and making them into skirts that pretend to be the shirt so I dont have to takeoff my jumper to change the shirt thereby passing muster at school gate and pool- maybe I am getting away with it but I learnt early here as long as you appear to be doing the accepted thing you can get away with murder - so the hair gets brushed and the shirt changed for school gate - the rest is static - laziness, overwhelm keeping it simple - doesn't matter its what I can manage- before when I worked it all changed everyday but I never managed matching shoes handbags and glasses - today nothing matched and several things came out of the dirtypile -oops but then went to the shops and could not care what anyone might think. I was buying bread not running for mayor.

and I sleep in my clothes as well - very modest country and you never know when there will be an earthquake - so its pretty normal to sleep in street clothes at night- have been in three big earthquakes and thousands of aftershocks - slept in my car on the street once for three weeks just outside my house because the aftershocks were all 6+

I used to feel pressured to dress differently every day for style and to please others, but now it's all about comfort. However, I no longer have a professional setting to have to dress up to. My previous professional setting was rather casual most days.

Luckily, tie dye matches everything. lol When I feel the need to spruce up a bit, I grab a comfortable skirt and top. Nothing is allowed in my closet that doesn't feel comfortable for certain - no exceptions. I used to buy stuff without trying it on assuming it would fit well, but no more. Skirts (especially broomstick and the free flowing kind - not those tight form fitting ones) are becoming a new favorite thing in my world. I used to be way too big to comfortably wear them.

I remember being told to always have a couple nice black shirts that goes with anything and just "dress them up" by adding a scarf, different jewelry, etc. and there's your wardrobe for the week. I don't do scarves or much jewelry, though, so I never tried that out.

I used to keep a spray bottle with water and a small amount of white vinegar (3 parts water, 1 part vinegar) handy and would hang my work clothes up each day and spritz them with that to smooth out wrinkles and such. The vinegar smell leaves once they dry and they looked freshly laundered for the next day. I used that in place of those expensive "wrinkle release" sprays you can buy in the store, plus my nose can't hang with artificial scents.

I would think unless you are emitting foul odors or wearing visibly soiled or totally wrinkled up things, your co-workers will likely not even notice what you wear.

Not sure if that helps anyone, but I wanted to mention that even people without PTSD do this a lot. My ex- boyfriend liked things very simple when it comes to clothing for example. He likes to be practical and doesn't seem to get the point of having variety in clothing unless you're require. For him he likes that it cuts down time on having to think about what you'll wear. So he has a whole bunch of white and black socks for different shoes, few pairs of jeans and a bunch of T-shirts and sweathers that are often the same just different color. And like 2 dress shirts(one for summer, one for winter) and a suit for special occasions.

I always liked to express how I feel in how I dress so I always liked variety. Since I started with PTSD and issues, I like having enough clothes(comfortable ones) so that I can switch them and always have something clean to wear, yet get to do laundry 1-2 times a week at most, just few laundries in one day. But I did notice that since my assault I went through many stages with my clothes, from all black and few sizes too big and just sweatpants, to outwardly too sexy, and so on. Now I'm on stage of sweatpants and t-shirts at home and cute but comfy stuff outside. A part of me wants to get back to who I was because I was very girly and liked getting dressed up all the time and so on and looking my best...and now it's like I've lost a part of me. I only get dressed up for occasions, and that's fine, some people like that...But I also noticed if I start trying to dress like I want to feel attractive on regular days, I feel all self-conscious and uncertain and unsafe..but I like dressing up, it's a part of who I've always been, and I hope I come back to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back