1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Web Sites May Be as Beneficial as Therapy

Discussion in 'News, Politics & Debates' started by anthony, Oct 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

According to researchers at The Australian National University in Canberra, spending time on therapeutic and educational web sites may be just as effective as regular visits to the psychotherapist.

Researchers studied a group of patients who were referred to two web sites: The MoodGYM and education site BluePages. The MoodGYM is a cognitive behavior therapy site dedicated to preventing depression by helping users to identify and overcome difficult emotions, and showing them how to develop good coping skills, in order to improve their mental health. BluePages is a depression education site, providing information about the symptoms of and treatments for depression.

After 12 months, users of both web sites reported improvement. Interestingly enough, the educational site BluePages proved to be more effective than the behavior-therapy site. BluePages users appeared “less likely to use actions that did not have an evidence basis,” researcher Helen Christensen said.

Perhaps the results are really have been shown to be the most effective means of treating depression. DeVries also believes willingness to use the web sites shows the kind of initiative needed to successfully treat depression. Someone who is visiting an educational site like BluePages is taking the necessary steps with their own self-care, which is a crucial step in successful treatment.

The researchers believe that the results indicate that Internet-based strategies—educational and therapeutic—can be as effective as in-office treatment. If that is the case, educational and treatment-focused sites could become useful tools in treating people in remote or rural areas for whom access to professional help is problematic. While it can’t replace individual psychotherapy or medication in all instances, the study does show that sites dedicated to education and treatment can be a valuable tool.

Source: Psych Central

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. anthony

Hmmmm.... no shit sherlock, except I guess I didn't need to waste thousands in money to find that out. So much money wasted in half arsed studies, when it could be used for more beneficial "frontline" purposes. For me, I try and understand where the billions of dollars governments around the world spend on mental health research and awareness, yet all I ever see is the silly pamphlets and things like that in doctors offices, and places you tend to pick it up and take notice, once its too late. Like honestly, who goes and sits in a counsellors office to just read the pamphlets? If your reading them in those locations, guess what? Its too late...

Why isn't money spent where it matters most, getting to people before mental illness develops or stems out of control...

4. kimG

kimG Well-Known Member

Because then, Anthony, the world would have to actually admit that mental health issues are a real problem. If they ignore them, then they'll go away, right?:wink:

5. anthony

Yep... that is a good point Kim. Why is it we must become smarter by getting sicker first, to not be so blinded by the world and society itself...

6. kimG

kimG Well-Known Member

Because we live and learn, Anthony.

Unless society has gone through what we've gone through and experienced the same things, they are ignorant to the reality of it. People who read about it think they know; it's been mentioned here before that therapists can only go by what they read because they have never actually been through and experienced it.

Kinda like a teacher who has just graduated from college but has never taught; while they are book-smart, they are not life-smart.

Book-smarts is never a good substitute for life-smarts...

Just my opinion...based on my own life-smarts...:smile:

7. anthony

I totally agree, in that theory can never over power practical experience. Theory can enhance practical applications and how it is approached, but never is it better than.

8. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

LOL, just try and tell that to "book smart only" people. They will argue till they are blue in the face that they are preferred because they are "objective". I've had my run ins with these types. I chalk it up to simple ignorance and arrogance!!

Bec