• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Welcome Lily - Our New Puppy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say... she is getting better by the day. We're working each other out, I guess... she is becoming more comfortable and we're getting to know her. Only one accident today. I haven't used the crate today, instead I've had her out with me, running around, all day. When I suspect she is due to wee or poo, I put her in the bathroom, lock the gate. She looks at me, does her business, gets let out. She's worked out to do her business and get let out, and I've worked out how to get her to do her business, so we can all get back on with our day.

@anthony Shameless. You got Lily for more likes, as though you needed them.;)

I want (and need) to work with dogs, and reading everything I can get my hands on. Best found have been the books and DVDs by the Monks of New Skete (upper state NY monastery. Some make cheese or honey to survive, they breed, raise and train German Shepards, and take in hard training cases for $$$ NY'rs. "The Art of Raising a Puppy" is fascinating, "How to Make Your Dog Your Best Friend" and Devine Canines."

I have communicated with them as their new project is "Next Chapter." Goal for NC is facility for training PTSD SDs. I asked about the method for PTSD specific training. Response was vague. I will try with the vets training vets SDs, though therapy SD might be different. I have no means for training, my Bella a stray is almost there by her own personality and nature. She saves my life every day, and is critical to my quality of life, when I can't find hope or stop screaming at night, she licks my face and nuzzles until I have to kiss her right where her third eye is. She is 11, and know one day will be the worst of my life (well except for the numerous traumas.) Animals like me and I am very comfortable with them, more so than with most people.

Any help or ideas from this dog loving community welcomed.:hug:

8 weeks, they do good not to kill themselves chewing on electrical wires.
If I make small milestones at this young age... is that good? I just don't see any training videos with success when pups this young are being used. The youngest video I found the pup was 18 weeks and achieved just the basics of look when called and sit. Even then the pup was still all over the place... like you said, hopefully not kill themselves on an electrical wire. She's started on some of those already, being told NO quite sternly.

I had to give up on training today, as Lily was just feral near all day when awake. Amazingly, she went from the below state to lay down, sleep, within minutes during the day. She was hyper...

@ Anthony I see you have a land shark. It is better to get up and ignor the behaviour or yelp like a puppy when she bites you. She might start thinking it is a game you enjoy. The other thing you might want to work on is gentle.

You can most definetly start working on the basics. Sit, down and come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back