• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll Welcoming Our New Members - What Are Your Thoughts?

Would you be willing to Welcome New Members to Our Forum?

• Yes I would be Willing to Welcome Members once per day.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think welcoming is a great thing.

I'd avoid copy/paste welcomes. A short message is usually best as to keep things non-robotic. I enjoyed receiving welcomes when I joined.

Chat was not welcoming. People say "hi" (in response to my "hi") but very few people would actually interact with me. Multiple visits to chat, multiple attempts at trying to join the conversation by responding to statements that others made. One time I was chatting with someone and another person burst in and took over the conversation, edging me out. It was a bit off putting. I no longer attempt to chat and don't see myself going back. I advise working on becoming more welcoming in chat.

Honestly I don't see what the big deal is, about this.

But then I see any talking together as a good thing & people expressing themselves how they're able best at the moment, not reading too much into it.

@EveHarrington I am so sorry to hear that you haven't found chat very welcoming. People do burst into chat sometimes and take over especially if they are in the middle of a crisis, I have been guilty of that myself. I have seen you in chat, which means I am one of the guilty parties who didn't make you feel welcome, and for that I sincerely apologise.

@EveHarrington - I wish you hadn't had the unwelcoming experience in chat. Sometimes when I go in I just go to post up Birthdays and Welcomes. It is hard when chat is going fast to keep up - and sometimes I don't see posts from people until I reread the chat later on - and I think I wish I hadn't missed that comment. I hope you have better experiences in the future.

I would definitely have appreciated a short - welcome to the forum - message when I first joined. I think more welcomes in the introduction thread too. One member in particular when I first joined was not very welcoming just because I'm undiagnosed - then I felt I had to explain what I'd been through. That one members message kind of upset me.

When I came on the forum I was a bit reluctant to join in straight away. I read and liked posts. After a while I started to participate, I felt I had to explain about traumas to justify being here. This was hard, but as I realise that there are trolls now I can understand the wariness of some members. I continued because it was so good to communicate with people who were experiencing the same problems. I had one or two welcomes.
I think if people want to be involved with the community they will join and persevere to get involved whether they get welcomes or not.
Saying this when I am on here reading etc. I will welcome sometimes to the ones who introduce, and help out.

I think when you have a New Member who is Welcomed in the Morning - who feels comfortable to be joining in Welcoming other New Members in the evening - well something a little good is going on there.

I'm not sure if I am understanding or not but I wouldn't want to get a message welcoming me from anyone other than staff if I hadn't yet posted. It would have felt intrusive to me. I agree being replied to on making the first post is important. I personally wish people wouldn't lay it all out on their first post as I feel its important to answer properly and thoughtfully if someone has laid themselves out there and I prefer to answer in that way once I have known someone just a little. Just me I guess.

In fact I wouldn't like it even if it was staff unless it sounded like a mere formality. That's if we are talking about messages rather than replies to a thread the person has posted. It would particularly have freaked me out if it was more detailed. I would have been gone and would never have come back. Intrusive. It would also feel false.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back