1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

What a Wild Crazy Ride

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by janis362529, Jun 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. janis362529

janis362529 New Member

Hi all my name is Janis and I am living in Maine.

I was diagnosed with PTSD about a year ago andnow after stay at the hospital they arelookingat bipolar as well. So I am right now either at the very top of the hill, climbing up the hill or around some bend. In any case since being in partial hospitalizations my flashbacks have started coming in full force and my insurance will not cover seeing and outside physcatrist while in in pateint so I just have to suck it up for another weeek.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Hi Janis, welcome to the forum. Don't believe everything doctors tell you, because they have alteria motives at play when diagnosing nowadays. Unfortunate as it is, it is factual. Please read [DLMURL]http://www.ptsdforum.org/thread1097.html[/DLMURL] so you are armed with more knowledge to throw back at your physician when discussing PTSD. They love to diagnose Bipolar with PTSD because the symptoms of PTSD fit Bipolar in some instances, though your not likley bipolar at all, your just seriously ill with PTSD. Heal trauma, you heal the symptoms of PTSD, thus you will find all these secondary issues disappear.

Doctors confuse what you have, with what they want you to have for prescription purposes. You have PTSD, and as part of PTSD, it comes with a lot of other diagnosis, which should not be diagnosed uniquely because they are not actually unique in yourself, they are part of PTSD and caused by trauma / other symptoms. When your diagnosed with PTSD your diagnosed at the worst end of the scale, hence all these other diagnosis are part of PTSD. You see the issue? You heal trauma, you no longer have these so called other diagnosed issues any longer, but you will still have residual effects of PTSD itself.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  4. janis362529

janis362529 New Member

So in a round about way I am lucky that they are just looking at the bipolar additive. With the PTSD it is hard to say what caused it b/c it could be any one of the numerous events. So my doc has me writing down every time I have felt so hyper that I can remember. The tough part is some events occured when I was most hyper. Thank you though for the advice and hopefully I willgetbetter and not have to be on meds forever

5. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

Obviously listen to your doctors but when they try to throw a diagnosis your way look through it inside and out and research it all to hell

Many symptoms and some signs of bi polar are not really bi polar. Bi polar for example was looked at in me as I could and still sometimes do go where I can't sleep for days. But it isn't a high or a feeling of no need for sleep, as I was wiped out, it is just the panic attacks can come on too strong and nightmares too intense to allow it sometimes. I also react badly to SSRIs another trait.

My depression has never fully lifted so I don't cycle, but I do get worse if on anti depressants... Go figure.

But to look at all the forms of bi polar my husband and I went to the doctors that took a lot of time with me, and run from the ones who did not have my full history and just took pieces of info and tossed out a diagnosis. Normally the ones who sat down with me knew I was not bi polar. The ones who said so had not spoken to me more than 5 - 15 minutes and not read my record yet and try to over ride a previous diagnosis.

Looks like they are doing it right by investigating the possibility but not saying you have without throughly checking your history.

More often you will see OCD, depression, Panic Disorder, agoraphobia and the like diagnosed too. When actually those may be disorders if standing alone, they are normal symptoms of PTSD. Those types of things clustered is why you are diagnosed with PTSD along with a traumatic history so it is kind of silly when they say you have PTSD then add all that on. Take care of PTSD and all those symptoms will ease.

Sounds like your doc is doing it right and not being too quick to label you bi polar also. There are a few good shrinks out there, they are just hard to find. Just always remember your health care is ultimately up to you so always pull what ever they say apart and investigate it and ask a lot of questions.

Welcome to the forum.

6. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Janis, I just made another post [DLMURL]http://www.ptsdforum.org/33267-post6.html[/DLMURL] in relation to bipolar diagnosis in conjunction with PTSD diagnosis. This is why I call doctors idiots nowadays, because they have lost commonsense, ignore it even, for the bottom line dollar figure instead. The more they diagnose, the more money they make. Its very unlikely you are bipolar with a PTSD diagnosis.