• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What Are Teenagers In To These Days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine are 15 and 16, both boys.

Into: Utube videos, anime, Xbox, and ps4 games, mostly war type, younger one likes driving games too. Surfing (16 year old), girl friend (16 year old), stunt scootering, bmx, tombstoning (we live by the sea) and crazy risky stunts, rock climbing (15 year old), sleep overs, insanely long showers.

What they aren't into. Facebook, revising for exams, getting up, clearing up after themselves, feeding themselves, homework, their parents, negotiating, going to bed.

You gotta love 'em!

Mine are 13-17 2B1G

Sport...depends on the kid which sports they play & follow

Gaming... Steam more than console, Rust is the big one at the moment (changes every few months; Fallout4 & GrandTheftAuto have been big this year

YouTube... Vine & gaming channels, mostly (hilarious 6 second shorts, versus, 30-120 minute playthrus!)

Photojournalism / Documentary of their Lives / Selfies & FaceTune

Friends & Music (Skype & Spotify... Although Rap is :inlove: of the moment genre wise)

Freedom

Food. Metric shit-tons of food. And then maybe a light snack. And some Doritos. And Mtn. Dew. & daaaaaaaang. I'm hungry! A few more complete meals to "nibble" on. Then maybe another light snack? :banghead: :hilarious: Hollow legs, this crowd. They're packing away about 12 meals a day right now. Each.

Last edited:
I do know Facebook is out for many teenagers.

I also have been reading that teenagers brains actually change more and for longer than their bodies, which made for fascinating readings.

Last edited:
You will find teens from diverse backgrounds and maturity.
That I am really aware of - but to start to drill down into specifics I need to talk with people who have or have had teenagers in the last decade. I have been doing all the readings and have awareness of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex, nationality/ethnicity, class, able bodied/no able bodied, gender, mental health challenges, domestic violence, sexual abuse, remote, rural, regional, city based, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and a few other areas of diversity. Now I need real life examples and understanding of parents, carers and associated individuals.

Of course where my school is will determine a lot of factors but back ground information is always helpful.

I will make mistakes and I will demonstrate a lack of understanding - but the more I know the better I will learn and make the most of my time with teenagers.

I am doing 7-10 and they have specific developmental phases depending where they are with puberty and brain development with the intersection of the context they are in combined with their own personalities. Middle schooling is the new focus with a focus on being more student centred than teacher centred as many students disengage in education during this time and never reconnect - so how to modify this or prevent disengagement is part of our research.

More information the merrier at this point.

I won't see ALL teenagers have the characteristics or interests that people discuss here - it is just a foot in the door of understanding. It will give me an understanding of a few different types of teenagers.

Last edited:
According to my partner, who's a teacher:
Into Instagram and Snapchat. Not Facebook..
Into their phones and messaging in general. And - not wanting to darken the tone but - sending each other rude photos of themselves. Very common apparently.

uhh, according to those I know:

youtube, a lot of youtube, youtube for studying, youtube for fun, youtube for whatever
psychology, philosopy, and understanding mental health and disorders
magic, good ol' fantasy books, :) mithology
quite a solid percentage is into smoking, both tobacco and marijuana
anime, though less as they get more stuff they gotta do any less time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back