• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll What Are Your Beliefs About God / Higher Power?

Do You Believe In God?

• Yes, I believe in a God or Higher Power.

Votes: 152 58.0%
  • I am an agnostic.

Votes: 52 19.8%
  • I am an atheist.

Votes: 58 22.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

batgirl

MyPTSD Pro
There has been a fair bit of talk about God on the forum lately, so I thought I'd ask about people's beliefs on the matter. Personally, I am an agnostic, though I do attend church with my family now. It's moreso an outing though, it makes my family happy, and I find the atmosphere of church relaxing. In case anyone doesn't know the difference, an agnostic is someone who believes the existence of God cannot be proved one way or another, whereas an atheist is someone who absolutely believes God does not exist. Oh, and I didn't include a whole bunch of options either, like whether you believe in God in the traditional sense, whether you go to church or not, or whether you are simply spiritual and not religious, etc. I figured that was just too complicated, and if people want to elaborate here they can.

I believe in a god, though I also consider myself agnostic about it, since I really don't know who or what it is and have not found enough satisfactory answers for myself in the various religions I've explored. Basically, I believe we really can't know, in the empirical sense (hence, faith). But I personally do believe in a god of some sort because I've had experiences and personal insights which convince me that there is a larger Intelligence or Soul or Something.

Actually I've had those experiences too, I relate to what you're saying, maybe I should have voted I believed too! ;) Oh well, I do think I am an agnostic basically though. I don't make any claims one way or another, basically I sit on the fence.

Hmm, well, maybe you could add an option like, I think there's a God but I'm agnostic about it, or something. Or, I'm agnostic, but I feel there is a God. I don't know. This is tricky :) Maybe just let people elaborate if they want as you originally said.

Even though "God" was used as a tool against me in severe ways, I believe there is a God who is nothing like I was shown He was - if that makes any sense.

Grace

I'm an atheist, and I was raised that way. At some very difficult times in my life I have wished that I did believe in a higher power, but I just don't have that belief. It's not in me. At varying times I have considered myself a Buddhist, however, I feel very uncomfortable with veneration of anyone or anything.

I voted as atheist because that is probably closest to my belief. I rarely refer to myself as an atheist because I'm not really that sure. I guess I'm also afraid of insulting people who are devout by making a proclamation that there is no god. I never refer to myself as agnostic because that implies (to some) that I am looking for answers. (I don't want to be converted.) I believe that the manner in which we conduct ourselves in society is what matters most.

I believe in the father, the son, and the holy spirit....I believe that God is alive and if we believe in him, his holy spirit can fill our hearts and we can feel great peace...I believe that God uses his believers and maybe some of the non-believers to help us with our struggles here on earth.

Hiya
I do think theres a God / higher power but i dont think it can actually be proven. Lord knows ive asked for signs but none have come. Not sure that God can give me what i need - hope he can.

I am Atheist, Humanist, and I belong to a group called the Ethical Society.
I was raised in a strict Southern Baptist church, which may explain why I am now Atheist. Ha Ha. I believe in "Just Be Nice." The people who don't believe in equality for all people, no matter what your color or gender or whom you marry, really bother me. I have a hard time tolerating intolerance.
I believe that dieties were created by humans the same way as Santa Claus was, just a story to tell, "You'd better watch out, You'd better not cry, Jesus Christ is coming back some day. He's making a list, checking it twice, gonna find out who's naughty or nice." Think about it. Both stories offer a reward if you behave a certain way for a specific time period. Both are just stories written by human beings. The difference is that along about 6 or 7 years old, we begin to realize that Santa is not real, but the adults still push the deity story.

I believe that we are all smaller parts of a unified whole. We are in God, and He's in us - we are One! We are all "little" Gods / Higher Power / Buddhas - the difficult part is realizing it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back