• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What Areas Do You Feel Capable/competent/functional In?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Albatross

MyPTSD Pro
Dove tailing on the other thread, "1001 Ways To Appear Functional (even Though You're Not)"... which I've read but not participated on because it just makes my mind trip it's focus over to what I don't/can't/won't do, achieve, or endeavor to challenge.

Is PTSD really a 100% cluster f*ck in all areas of my/our ability to "function" or is it just another cognitive distortion?

I have been pondering it a while and while I agree I am replete with quirks, neurologically injured/damaged, or not really functional in some areas... I got some abilities and can "function" in some areas. The bigger issue I think for me is the longer term stuff than a few days, weeks, months. Maybe this should be in discussion, I dunno.

I just get bummed if I spend too much time thinking on my deficits. I want to spend some time shifting back to breaking it down to where I actually am... normal range, near normal range. If I put my thinking cap on... or we do, I'm sure we all probably got SOMETHING.

Chalking it up to my latest music of choice... Chris Cornell's Higher Truth:

Last edited:
This is a great question. I was thinking the other day, that me having PTSD , enabled me to be a good private caregiver to people with Alzheimer's and dementia.. I realize now that on so many levels I understood in a way that others didn't. Being in the body and the mind somewhere else. I am very good at that job. Some of my personal relationships I am good with also. But am rethinking some of them here lately.. more take than give. I am an artist and work with clay. I used to be better than I am now, but getting back into it, so will hone my skills..

What things would you like to do or try? You are very proficient in writing, do you write poetry or short stories? You may have to get out of your comfort zone and try some things... what's the worst than can happen??? You may actually find something you are very good at and didn't even know it.... lots of gentle :hug:'s for this thread !!!

1. I can distinguish a mountain from a mole hill.
2. I can go wherever I choose with effort (granted but doable).
3. I can work though it would be more peaceful and calm not to.
4. I can maintain relationships and choose/discern when or if they are healthy and mutual.
5. I can separate my present disturbance/uncomfortableness from my PTSD injury.

Just starting with 5. Anybody else?

Thanks Ladee for your response... I guess I was more disturbed to the trend to enable/ensconce/settle for the idea of "faking functionality" when I don't particularly feel it's generally beneficial individually or to lump every hurt/pain/discomfiture as "PTSD". I was actually considering taking this thread into a different direction... about what "functional" actually is.. but that would definitely be a discussion rather than social. I just am at a place where I am no longer volunteering to separate myself out by what my own idea of "functional" is and what it is or may not be.

I love your thread ideas & that you've started the thread, @The Albatross. Thank you for that.

I'll come back on here. Currently still wrestling high waves of depression & feeling incapable, but I will be back when more able to answer on this.

Figured for a personal 1. I'm determined to problem solve, regardless of my ability to actually solve anything, or access to tools & people for it.

I've been thinking about this.

I can work. I am good at my job, competent and trusted with responsibility.
I care for my cat, even when I struggle to look after myself.
I can be there for my friends when they need me.

I'm sure there's more. I'll keep thinking.

Totally agree with you about not everything is PTSD related.... guess I just throw myself into some things, and see what happens.. that was the only way I could learn to distinguish. I wasn't going to be able to figure it out and then do it... had to be proactive in finding the answer.I will be starting a new job in March. The closer it gets, the more anxious I get. I will be totally out of my comfort zone... working with the public.... :eek::eek::eek::eek:!!!! So have been reminding myself that EVERYONE ON THE PLANET gets nervous and anxious about starting a new job.... relax Ladee, a gazillion people have gone before you and make it....:nailbiting:

Funny, I was actually thinking about this earlier. About the things I am managing to maintain what I consider to be an acceptable level of functioning in.

One of those things is the ability to keep a sense of humour (albeit a pretty warped one at times) - hence my also responding to the 1001 ways to fake functionality....finding humorous ways to look at my current failings doesn't prevent me from working on them or mean accepting them as my lot. 'Faking functionality' can be part of a 'fake it till you make it', 'act as if', 'keep going till you get there', 'brave face', 'the only way out is through' kind of thing I reckon - it's how I look at it anyway.

Others areas I think I'm functioning okay in currently
  • My eating is what I would consider pretty normal at the moment. It's taken a long time to get back to that and takes effort to maintain it, but I am maintaining it. I eat breakfast and lunch most days and cook a meal in the evenings most days.
  • I look after the dog well even if I'm feeling shit and not looking after myself so well. In the nearly two years she has been staying with us, apart from two weeks when I injured my shoulder and couldn't physically manage to, I haven't missed a day of walking her and despite her behavioural issues I stay patient with her.
  • I manage to keep one room in the house at least clean, tidy and chaos free
  • I feel like I am on top of suicidal and self harm ideation at the moment - not sure if it's been long enough yet for me to feel like it's a non issue but there's definitely been a shift there

Last edited:
I think I really want to understand and clarify that... I need to right now. Thoughts welcome.

I got thinking though since PTSD is perfectly capable of hijacking all these things? It may still be useful to approach the beast, if familiar, from an angle you can tackle already, until you can get to the stage you're aware enough of all the other multiple choices & dealing with them?

Absolutely @digger, I use my humor to get me out of some situations that others are clueless about....like freezing in a situation, but seeming to go ahead and do what needs to be done... my comment will be, Damn I'm good... I can do this sh*t in a black out !!! I will have anxiety until the day I die... so have just learned to live with it. And the depression comes out of nowhere sometimes... I am going to be good to me during those times... whether anyone else is or not....I don't like depending on someone any more today than I did 65 yrs ago... my personality, has nothing to do with PTSD !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back