• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What Compelled You To Choose Your Particular Avatar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My life has always resembled waves. My emotions can rise but fall hard. Life events are similar. Water is something grounding to me from tears to tea to showers to rain to the ocean. Rain is probably the most grounding but the waves just made sense and there is blue sky behind the wave for hope. Plus I wanted my avatar to match my username. That's just a part of my ocd like tendencies. ;)

@Mr Laurie and everyone, I kind of was inspired by Mr Laurie as he put up a photo of himself at a younger age on his. So, I chose one of me, of a moment in my life when I was happy. I felt that a happy moment was most important. I even posted a thread here that is for folks to share photos of themselves on it. I forget where I posted it, now, but I suspect that I put it in Social. If not, then in Discussion.

I found it:

https://www.myptsd.com/threads/photos-of-us.55199/

@SheilaKathy is quite correct, I chose to put my current Avatar up as it was a time in my childhood that I remember being at probably my happiest. Approx 1 month prior to this photo being taken my eldest brother and main abuser left and moved to Kent, my sex abuser also moved very soon after he had gone.

Basically, I spent the next 15 months abuse free. My dad taught me to Southpaw Box as he knew I was being bullied at school and I took martial arts classes in Wado-Ryu. Then the supposed hard-man in school started picking on me in a lesson and I stood up to him. Mr "hard-man" then told me to punch him as hard as I could, so I did, knocking him flying off his stool, breaking his nose in front of his mates. Guess what, Ballet-Boy and fought back. No one bullied me after that day :)

My original Avatar when I joined (the one of a little boy cowering in the corner of a room wearing sandles and shorts was chosed because he depicts myself at the age of 3. That is exactly how I would cower in my nursery, waiting for my eldest brother to come in and hurt me every night.

I love turtles and worked for years with them in Hawaii and turtle rescue; and sharks, rays, dolphins, penguins, fish.... Love animals.

Turtles are friendly and incredibly cool. Wanted to encourage people that they will or can rise above their present situation. Chose the name Kailani cuz it's my dog's middle name that means water from Heaven in Hawaiian. I wanted to refresh others here

@Mr Laurie I also was bullied at school! And I also did what you did. I beat up one of the boys that was taunting me (This happened off the school grounds, so I never got in trouble at all!)). Word must have gotten around, because none of them bothered me after that! Sometimes, you just have to resort to violence. I wish it were not so. I later apologized to that kid on Facebook, as I had been feeling guilty about beating him up, even though it was like 20 years later or more when I apologized! You would be amazed at who you can find on Facebook! None the less, I have told this story to many people, and most of them have said, "Good for you!" when I said how I had solved the problem!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back