• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What Do You Take For Your Anxiety?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldiesb

New Here
hi!
I am thinking I need to be back on medication for anxiety. But I haven't taken anything like that for 10 years. It's been awhile. What medications do you take for your anxiety?
I don't want to feel like a zombie or wiped out.
Any advice is truly appreciated.
G

I have been taking a low dose of Klonopin for about eights months now. I work in technology and I was very clear with my doctor that I needed to keep my mind sharp. While I do not like being on medication I have been satisfied with the results. The worst of it is that it is a little harder for me to get going in the morning.

I have also eliminated caffeine almost entirely. That helps reduce the anxiety too.

Hello

I take propanolol for anxiety -80mg daily. It's a beta blocker. I have found it to be helpful, without side effects. I have also had diazapam (valium) -5mg as required. I don't like the way it makes me feel. It kind of makes me feel a little drunk - slow, and fuzzy headed, so I only take that if I'm in full blown panic attack. I have found propanolol to reduce my anxiety in general. I don't get so many panic moments since taking it. I don't wake up feeling as anxious as I used to.

Hi goldiesb,
I'm taking Cymbalta and Lithium but I sometimes still need to take something for my interminable hypervigilance. For this I take a very small dose of Temazepam eg 2.5mg. If I took the dose prescribed, I would be asleep, so I suggest experimenting with lower doses when it comes to things like Benzos. It works really well for me. My Pdoc doesn't really like me taking it too much because benzos aren't good for depression, but sometimes I think the depression is partly exhaustion from being so wired anyway. As I say, this works really well for me.
Best, Zel

I am on a ton of meds for anxiety...

Atenolol for the somatic effects of anxiety....Mainly heart palpitations. Although my doctors are getting to the point where they don't want to give it to me anymore. I'm going to have to do a lot of internet research saying that beta blockers are valid medications for those of us who have anxiety issues as I need this medication when things get bad.

Buspar...It isn't immediately effective like beta blockers or benzo's, it needs to build up in your system over time. Works well, but watch out, it can cause anger issues. It did in me at the max dose and I had to back off.

Ativan...Works for minor anxiety when I feel a flashback coming on. Mainly take in the morning for morning anxiety.

Klonopin...Take at night for nighttime anxiety so I can sleep. Very sedating even at a low dose.

I've also taken Geodon for anxiety and it was hands down the best medication I've ever been on for anxiety. Unfortunately it messed up my nerves and I have muscle pain even after stopping the meds months ago. I pray that the pain isn't permanent, as it may very well be. I was on the med for over a year and a half before developing this side effect, which surprised my doctor. Usually muscular side effects on antipsychotics are developed soon after the medication is started. Just a word of advice... I will never go on another antipsychotic again, much rather deal with the addictive qualities of benzo's.

I don't take anything strictly for anxiety. I take a hefty dose of Trazodone at night for sleep (it is also an antidepressant and may dampen anxiety). When I sleep well, my arousal symptoms are decreased and I am more able to manage anxiety using standard CBT techniques.

I also take Lorazepam (Ativan). 3 times a day and once at bedtime. Been on it for almost a year now and it helps take the edge off. I have given up caffine recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back