• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What Does A Flashback Look Like On The Outside?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have wondered my self what i look like when having a flash back, i seem to zone out and go back to a traumatizing time, though this happens when watching t.v with huby sometimes and he does not seem to notice except when i will suddenly hear him saying hello earth calling Becky! i feel fuzzy after and a bit dizzy and anxious though when on my own i can zone out for up to half hour and not sure what i look like, i am now in counselling and did have 1 once, this embarrassed me to! though think i will ask next week as would be nice to know i think x

I go to boarding school and I asked my roommate the same thing. She said I curl up with my knees covering my chest and I bury my face into my knees as well. She told me I'll cry a lot and yell things while holding on to my arms and sometimes scratching at my skin.

I don't know whether this is normal thing or not....
I am only young and I don't know how to cope with these life threatening flashbacks. I get the very regualy, at least 2-3 times a day (not exaggerating). They make me feel like I have not had a positive life. But I do try to change that by thinking of all the positive things that happen in my life, but I don't seem to have any. So this makes my life a lot worse and it seems to makes the flashback have more power. I do sometimes end up punching a wall but most the time I just curl up in a ball and squeeze my head. I do tend to get a lot more nightmares than my twin brother.
When I told my mum I get flashbacks. She just seemed shocked. My brother was like no you don't get it, whilst pulling a face. This made me feel worse. I now can't tell anyone because he was judging me. I feel like I do need help because I do punch walls and they say that is 'self-harm'. I know I need to tell some one but I dont know how im scared that people would react the same way as my brother did..

I don't know whether this is normal thing or not....
I am only young and I don't know how to cope with these life thre...

Hey, I'm so sorry your brother reacted that way and made things feel worse for you. Please trust that most counsellors or mental health professionals you seek from won't act this way at all. If they're good, they won't judge or condemn you but instead help you understand how to handle your painful flashbacks, and find ways to live an enjoyable life. They will listen with empathy and compassion, and offer advice, so please try your best to seek some help when you feel up for it.
I know all these things are easier said than done, and I keep switching between being in your boat and the one I'm talking about, so don't feel like you're alone in your struggles or like you're a bad person for feeling the way you are feeling.
I wish you much courage, strength and healing in your journey :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back