• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What emotion do you dislike most in yourself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I abhor when I have the feelings of helplessness:poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poo...
Yup, I can relate to that. When my husband had a massive stroke, I felt really helpless. I could not help him get up off the floor, and I was not aware that he was having a stroke, so I did not even know to call 911! Precious minutes that could have been used to save him from the horrible affects of the stroke were wasted, because I did not know what to do. Finally I went to get a neighbor after spending I don't know how long trying to help him get up. The neighbor thankfully had experience with strokes and what happens to a person when they are having one and he told me to call 911, at which point I did.

Many times after that I felt helpless to be able to help him too. He was crippled, in a wheelchair, it was a very rough time in my life. He survived the stroke by 8 years. The last 3 years I could no longer help him at all, and so he had to be placed in a nursing home. I felt so inadequate. I felt so helpless!

I hate it when I feel entitled to something, like when I feel like I deserve an ice cream sundae because I have endured some kind of difficulty. Or because I have been "good" about something, like having watched my calories for something like a year and having been sugar free for a year and then I feel entitled to have that sundae. Well, maybe that isn't so bad. I don't know... it is just that I feel like I should stay sugar free and then I go and blow it after having been off sugar for a year! I was doing so well, sigh... and then I blew it!

Neediness - like needing anything at all, whether it is someone's comfort, physical support (like when my legs gave way half way home after starting to talk about my trauma this week and I had to get my boyfriend to come and walk me home), or needing food (that was the root of my years of anorexia as a teenager).

Guilt - it makes me feel sick, even when I know logically it isn't justified.

Shame/Humiliated - I permanently feel this and when it gets bad I literally want to tear myself apart.

Fear - particularly when it renders me useless and I freeze...which leads to anger and frustration at myself, and even more fear. And round and round we go. :rolleyes:

I think the emotion I dislike most in myself is anger. Frequently when I'm angry I become this mean, crazy bitch and disregard others feelings. It's also the emotion that's gotten me into the most trouble, causing huge interpersonal conflict and creating feelings of hurt and mistrust. The emotion that's given me the most relief is the feeling of being peaceful or simply being aware and nonjudgmental. I really liked this question, it's helped me identify which emotions help me and which don't so thanks!

When something happens, which knocks me off-center, and I lose my balance, and I don't know how to react or what's going on, I am quite not the same person. I don't like it as it is like I'm trying to hold on and be me, but something is not quite right and I'm trying to figure something out so I can get me back.

I don't like it in myself, but I also have to tell myself that what's going on is so out of control at the moment. I have had some stresses where I was in the fear mode so the body could only handle so much, and it just takes time to recuperate. I guess when I become too talkative, too hyper, I need to call a time-out on myself until things in my life calm down.

Fear

depression/sadness

shame

these are the worst for me. These emotions kick off my overreacitivity. I feel bad if I lash out and usually it is not warranted so I have to go back and apologize.

I know that you did not ask for this one, but it is a new one for me:

rightous anger

It is still a work in progress for me and I am learning about it in the beginning stages.

@-lemurlibs91- giving myself permission to feel this emotion is difficult for me, like I said baby steps, but yes mostly it applies to different situations for now, for me too. I have felt it before but I was always shaming myself afterwards. My old therapist said it is my dignity and I like to think of as a call for justice.

Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread. It made the "Most Popular Threads of the Week" email, top of the list! Thanks everyone for being so open about your emotions. I also especially liked it when folks mentioned emotions that made them feel good. I didn't ask about this in the original message, but it sure is a good thing to look at too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back