1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Happened to the TV show Starting Over?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Grama-Herc, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Grama-Herc

Grama-Herc VIP Member

I use to watch a TV program titled "Starting Over". It had a house full of women with issues. This reality program followed them and their progress with their issues.

There were life coaches and challenges. It really was a cool show which I enjoyed and was actually helpful to me at times. The women were real people with real problems and this show helped them and me

It went off the air without any notice and I was just wondering if anybody out there knew anythig about it
    Whitneys story likes this.
  2. judyandsus

judyandsus New Member

Sorry I'm of no help I've never heard of it. If you know the station it was on you can search their website for the answer. I know I have done that in the past. That is the only answer I have for you
    Judy
  3. hodge

hodge New Member

I don't know, either, Grama-Herc; never saw it. But I have heard of instances where enough people wrote to the network of a cancelled show and they've brought it back.
  4. pandora

pandora VIP Member

I used to watch this all of the time..I was addicted and I learned so much...even considered putting in a tape to apply...ha ha. It has not been on here in over a year, i think. I am not sure why they took it off the air.

Iyanla Vanzant does seminars and retreats....if you google her name it will show when and where.....
  5. Grama-Herc

Grama-Herc VIP Member

Hey Pand,

Thanks You are the only person I've ever run into that watched that program. I would not even answer my phone when it was on. And yes, there was a lot to learn from the program. I miss it.

I will check out her web site
  6. reallydown

reallydown VIP Member

Oh I know that show too...The last time I saw that they had that girl with the baby...Or she was pregnant when she went into the house...I think they had changed the concept...Instead of only women...they started having couples at the house...That's the last I heard of it.
  7. Jet

Jet VIP Member

Funny I was just thinking about that show the other day. I loved watching it. I don't currently have TV so I was not sure if it was still on but I thought not. They used to get some good stuff on there. I also considered sending in a tape.

Jet
  8. catjudo

catjudo VIP Member Premium Member

I used to watch that show. They cancelled it a couple of years ago, I think. They ended their last season as if there would be a new season to start in the fall but during the summer the network decided to cancel the show. I know a lot of people were disappointed but apparently not enough to keep the show on the air.
  9. Moonshadow

Moonshadow Well-Known Member

I used to watch "Starting Over", too. I was bummed when it was canceled.

That show (and a Dr. Phil book) made me realize that my issues were much bigger than I thought.
    That realization lead to my seeking therapy, and discovering my PTSD.
  10. pandora

pandora VIP Member

That show helped me so much too....I was just understanding trauma and abuse and how it can have everlasting repercussions. I was reallly upset when it was taken off the air too. I learned so much from the show and as weird as some of the excercises were.....they did make sense in the end and all of the people seemd to benefit their entire lives. I think the support of the other house guests as well as the others, professionals that were always helpful. I forget the male doctors name...Dr? Stan something, he was so kind, gentle, compassionate and caing...the other woman, not Iyanla was good too. Her name was Rhonda!

Before it came out I had already bought a couple of her books too...I kearned from them too.

One day my soul just opened up. ( I forget which one was an autobiography but Iyanla really had been through a lot in her life time and talks very openly about her traumas)
    In the meantime.is another good one....she has quite a few written....I am really not sure what ones i still have but you are welcome to them.
    I could send them to you Herc if you want to pm me your address, if you are comfortable with that....I might have another one too if I didn't loan anymore out, I have a habit of loaning tham and then never seem to get them back. Let me know if you are interested.
    Take Care.
    Pand
  11. Grama-Herc

Grama-Herc VIP Member

Pandora

How unbelievebly kind of you to offer your books to me. I am honored that you would do that. Seriously, that meant a lot to me.

I went on line and found her web site where I can order her books. Just trying to decide which one or ones to get. So your suggestions will be very welcome.

Again, thank you so very much for your kind and thoughtful offer.

I am with you, I do miss the show. I was surprised at the time that a show like that could actually help me so much.
  12. Moonshadow

I found a bunch of books by Iyanla and Rhonda, listed through my local library.
    You might try there, if you want to save a few bucks, or at least decide which ones to buy.
  13. Moonshadow

I just have to share this, and this seemed like the appropriate thread to post it in.

I had a dream last night, that Rhonda was working the night shift at Shopko (like Target), stocking shelves, and was really happy about it.

She brought me to her home, and told me that she would be my life coach, and help me get a job at Shopko, and I could buy a car, and I could move out of my mother's house.

I was filled with optimism. I felt like I would finally be happy and free.

Then I woke up, and reality came crashing back. My pelvic pain was awful, and reminded me that there is no way I could hold down a job, right now.

I knew I had to get up and feed everybody and do the laundry and wash the dishes and clean the house. So, I do have a job, with much longer hours than full-time, and I get no pay and no holidays or vacation.

Of course, I'm shirking my duties, and wasting time on the computer, instead.
  14. Grama-Herc

Grama-Herc VIP Member

Hey You

You have a job and it is the most important job in the world. But keep on dreaming
  15. Moonshadow

You're right, Herc! My work is very important, and I like to think that I am doing a good job.

I will be the first to admit, though, that I am not a very good housekeeper.

There's a great quote by Phyllis Diller:
    "Cleaning the house, while you have kids, is like shoveling the sidewalk during a snowstorm."
  16. Grama-Herc

Grama-Herc VIP Member

IMHO

Loving and caring for your children and family is Way more important than being a susie homemaker with OCD about the floors or the dust.
  17. Moonshadow

I've started reading "Fearless Living", by Rhonda Britten. It talks about how our fears control us, and keep us from finding happiness, and living up to our potentials.

It may sound silly, but I'm a little afraid of reading the book. For one thing, my issues (as is true with most PTSDers) are more major than most people's issues. However, she witnessed her father shoot and kill her mother and himself, and was able to take control of her life, so maybe there's hope.

I got the book through library, so I guess I have 3 weeks to decide if it will be helpful to me. If anyone else has read this book, I would appreciate their insights.