1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Happens When You Miss Your Meds?

Discussion in 'Medications & Substances' started by cragger65, Apr 18, 2009.

1. cragger65

cragger65 New Member

I am curious what others experience when they miss their medication. When I'm taking it, it seems to do nothing to make me "chipper", though when I miss it, it returns me to a catastrphic state within the day. Is this how messed up I am, or how much my brain has become dependant on the meds to manage seratonin levels?

I feel kind of guilty at what happens to me, like "I should be working harder to do it on my own". I'm trying not to blame myself too much. Thoughts, experiences of missed meds days??

All mucho appreciated,
    Dave
  2. ok4a56

ok4a56 New Member

If I miss one day, then nothing. But if I miss more than a day I turn back into an real jerk.
  3. cragger65

cragger65 New Member

I guess my "inner jerk" just lurks closer to the surface... I know exactly what you mean. I turn desperate and impatient myself.
  4. her_indoors43

her_indoors43 New Member

oh oh oh......my doc sent me home witha script of sertraline hydrochloride......i havent had it made up yet.....and probably wont.......i seriuolsy dont wish to start something that is just going to spiral into another problem....and yeah...thats another thing to think of the side effects of missing your tablets....and the weight gain..crikey ive just lost 45 kilos i dont wish to find em again.....the more i read about medications the more i dont wish to start.......sighss......... anyone in here glad they started taking meds??.....did it help??and is it now more of another problem..?...im getting abit frazzled reading all the medication blogs.....so much to take on board....anyhoo.......
  5. 2quilt

2quilt New Member

Meds helped me stay in society and out of jail because my anger stayed in check. Yes, I gained weight, but that's okay when I know that being off meds makes me a microsecond away from Bitch From Hell. I need meds. I accept that I will need meds all my life.

If I miss a day, like I did this week because i was throwing up all day and night, i will feel desperate and out of control for a day or two until the med gets back into my brain.

I was on Sertraline (Zoloft) and it worked for about 3 years until I found Cymbalta, which worked much better.

Realize also there are sexual side effects too. You will not miss sex, you will not crave it, and you will not be able to have climax, but that will be okay with you; it will not be frustrating because you don't care about the end result, you'll just want to cuddle. You will be able to get aroused with -alot- of time and effort, but climaxes are few and far between and nothing to write home about.
    midi and her_indoors43 like this.
  6. her_indoors43

her_indoors43 New Member

welll nope...its not for me then...no way..im not giving up my great sex life with my hubby....no way in hell am i giving up feeling horney/desire....or enjoying the big o....no way....i worked hard to get to this great trust and place and comfortabilty to have a terrific sex life with my hubby........i havent allowed past sexual assaults /molesting....ruin it for hubby and i either.....nope.....thankyou 2quilts you have been most helpful........i want to crave sex with my hubby.....i will no longer struggle with the issue of should i start anti deps....I SHALL GET MYSELF TO TAI CHI ...ALOT HEALTHIER .......
  7. midi

midi New Member

When I had a heavy addiction to morphine (24/7), I couldn't get off sexually. Now, with these drugs, I fall asleep before I even try, so... Before these drugs, I was extremely anxious, had panic attacks often, severe mood swings... I don't know if I'll have to stay on them forever, but the drugs combined with therapy have made me almost human (no more Dr. Jekyll Mr. Hyde).

It's like 2quilt noted; if you need them to function in the short/long term, then take as prescribed.

It's okay to worry and wonder about these drugs and whether we need them or what the side effects are. Fortunately, we've got each other on this forum, for support and knowledge!
  8. ok4a56

ok4a56 New Member

I work 3rd shift, so sex is only a couple times a week ( my days off). I do stop taking my medication the day before my days off so when it is time to go to bed on my 1st night off, I don't have the issues with sex. So far so good.
  9. Grama-Herc

Grama-Herc VIP Member

Must be due to my age but I would rather feel and act like a semi civilized human being than worry about sex.

When I was in hospital they spent an entire day on meds--the good, the bad and the ugly sides of them.

They explained what happens when we take them and what happens when we don't. Personally I hate taking pills. But when faced with the person I had become and the person I am now---the pills don't seem so bad.

I realize everyone is different and all medications are different. But we need to take some responsibility in the care of ourselves and allow out physicains to try and help us find our way through this mine field called PTSD.

You asked what happens when we miss taking our meds. Simple answer:

We become the people we were---you remember that nasty, depressed, hateful, rude, paranoid, unreasonable person.
  10. cragger65

cragger65 New Member

I think it depends a lot on how close you've come to (or gone over) the snapping point. I was pretty far gone, and I've got a long way to go to be back in a better groove in my life. It will be a while, if ever, when I get off these suckers. I was hoping this year to cut down from 375 to 300 mg, but I've got some work to do before I can get there.
  11. 2quilt

2quilt New Member

Her Indoors,
    If you are going to say No to meds for the simple reason that they stop you from climaxing, let me clarify two thoughts, please. First, antidepressants don't stop you from getting aroused, it just takes work. And you don't feel frustrated or unhappy because you can't climax; you don't miss it!

The way antidepressants work (correct me y'all if I am wrong) is that the drug keeps your brain at a middle point so that you can't feel so depressed that you want to hurt yourself, and at the other end of the spectrum, you can't feel so damn good that you can climax. That would make endorphins (pain controlling happy hormones) flow, which antidepressants control.

Sex still feels good, and I am happy with that feeling with no other goal. DH still enjoys me, and we are just doing what makes him feel good and he's satisfied with it all. He knows that I can't climax, and that's alright. I still enjoy him. I don't miss climaxes at all. I would just a soon read a book.

Some people are not affected sexually by antidepressants, but I have never actually met one.

The second thought is that if your life is out of control and you think you need help, please ask for therapy. Maybe consider meds short - term to see if your quality of life improves. You may change your mind. You are in control.

It is my sole opinion (correct me if your mileage varies, everyone) that we have to be on antidepressants for at least a year before your brain "needs" meds on a permanent basis. That statement might create a whole 'nuther thread. For example, my personal brain Needs Meds Forever. I have attempted to live med-free, and you wouldn't like me.

Personally, I am willing to give up great O's for mental stability and the chance to live in society as a free person. We all make trade-offs.
  12. She Cat

She Cat VIP Member

When i was on Cymblata I was WARNED not to forget taking it. I often wondered why... Then I came off of it, and KNEW.....Man that crap is bad......

Ok, maybe a bit off topic, but I really need to ask this. Most women know the sexual side effects of these drugs. Lack of orgasm to be exact...Well, I want to know if it effects the mans sexually also???? If so, how????
  13. Marlene

Marlene VIP Member Premium Member

When I was on klonopin (anti-anxiety) and I was even late taking a dose (four doses a day) I could feel my anixety climb the scale pretty damned quickly. It was like someone flipped a switch in my brain. Missing a dose was not a pretty sight.

I knew a man who took anti-depressants and he had the same problem I did...no climax. I found it frustrating as hell and that's one of the reasons I switched from paxil to wellbutrin. Then the wellbutrin made me sick and I got off of it, too. Actually I went from anti-depressants to smoking. As bad as the cigs are, they worked better for me than the meds. I've been a non-smoker for over four years now...but I still crave it when my stress and anxiety go up.

Lisa
  14. ok4a56

ok4a56 New Member

The same way as a female, no orgasms :dontknow:

Like I said in a prior post, I work 3rd shift so and I take my meds in the morning (my morning when I wake up around noon). My days off are set to Thursday and Friday, so when I wake up Thursday morning I don't take my medication, so Thursday night when I am with my wife, me not having an orgasm won't be an issue. Then Friday morning I wake up and back on the medication. It seems to work for me at the moment, and I don't have any real issues skipping one days worth of medications.
  15. She Cat

She Cat VIP Member

Thanks ok4a56 for the info.......I would hate to think that us women, were the only ones to suffer with this.......LOL!!!!!!!! You guys need your fair share too.....
  16. Lion

Lion New Member

Depends on which one I miss-if I skip the beta blocker the heart pounds out and my anxiety goes off the hook.
    Skip a dose of Trazodone if I want to stay up all night...
    I'm starting to dislike pills. Feel weak for taking them sometimes.
  17. cragger65

cragger65 New Member

Myself, I call it being "Chemically Castrated". I used to have sex 3 to 5 times per week as a norm. Now it's once a month, at most, and that is usually a fleeting afterthought like, "Oh well, I'm bored, it's 2:00 in the morning and there's nothing on TV... WTH?!" ;P

No, women are not the only ones to suffer this.
  18. Solara

Solara VIP Member

When I miss a day or two of my Geodon, my threshold of anxiety becomes much higher (or is that lower?). I am in "fight or flight" mode at the drop of a hat.