1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

What Has Been Your Experience Dealing With PTSD At Work?

Discussion in 'Employment, Education & Disability' started by Audrey_Hepburn, Apr 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Audrey_Hepburn

Audrey_Hepburn New Member

Hello,

I'm pretty new here.

Just quickly, I'm doing a graduate diploma so I can get admitted as a lawyer, and I'm half way through. The problem is that I will soon need to go to work full-time and I'm not sure how I'll cope mentally, spiritually, emotionally, and even physically.

I don't know whether I should take time off before I start work. The problem is that PTSD has forced me to take many years off work already, and I can't see I'll ever be able to get my life and career on track.

How do people deal with PTSD symptoms at work? Have you been able to somehow keep them under control so you can function at least on the surface? PTSD means I have a hard time with thought processes, which is a bummer when you're doing law.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Audrey

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Monarch

Monarch I'm a VIP Premium Member

PTSD at work. Well, I try to not let it effect my work, it was much harder before I got on meds. I think the meds help alot, I am able to concentrate better and stay on task instead of wandering. I do have my bad times and I ususally call in sick and see my therapist and try to get back on track. I too was on track to finish my law degree and totally had to drop out, I think about going back, but at this time I would have to start all over. Maybe once my youngest is in school we can do it, that is 3 years away.

4. Marlene

Marlene I'm a VIP Premium Member

Dealing with my PTSD at work has been one hell of a balancing act. Some days I feel like I'm riding a unicycle while juggling (and I can't juggle worth a damn).

How do I deal? Well, I'm fortunate that I have an office with a door that closes. If things get too noisy outside of my office or people are arguing outside of my door, I can close it and turn up the radio. I take a walk around the outside of the building in the morning and the afternoon (weather permitting). If I feel myself tightening up at my desk, I go into the ladies room and do some yoga stretching. That really helps. Also, there's a couch in the ladies room and sometimes I go and sit on it for five or ten minutes just to get away from the phones, emails, nextel and people in my office.

The physical is easier than the mental. One of the reasons for breaks is because if I don't give my brain multiple breaks (even just a moment or two) during the day, I tend to get very tired, very quickly and zone out. Sometimes a few hands of solitaire on the computer helps. Or walking to another department on some 'errand'. It's amazing...you have a file folder and a pen in your hand, people automatically think you're doing something important and no one questions you.

I guess I'm learning the fine art of listening to my body and my brain tell me when I need a break and then following through. That helps keep my stress levels down at work, which in turn helps keep them down in all areas of my life.

5. Linda

Linda Well-Known Member

Audrey,
    This is not an easy task. First of all, work often adds stress to the life. That does not help with coping. I do not know much about lawer's job, but that looks liek it is very stressfull since they always fight.
    Then, you may be triggered by the people who will be talking about certain subjects without knowing that you are sensitive to it.
    And you also can meet nasty people who will simply make fun of youm for instance, if you are jumpy, they will scare you (I had this experience).

My advise would be, first, to choose the job you like and feel most comfortable doing. It is necessary to be polite with your co-workers, so probably it is useful for a while to be more formal, so everyone had to obey professional courtesy, instead of getting close with everyone and not know them. You may want to ajust your schedule, if it is possible, to be convinient for you.
    But atually situations are different, so you need to look what is around fist.
    Good luck,
    Linda

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar