• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News What I Wish My Loved Ones Understood About Being Suicidal

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthony

Founder
Remember: I chose you. Of all the people I could call in this moment, I trusted you.

My mother hit the nail on the head when she said that I didn’t come with an instruction manual.

If I did, I’d request that it include at least one chapter on suicide — because none of us, including me, were prepared for how to deal with suicidal thoughts and actions. As it turns out, mental illness would drive me to the end of my rope on more than one occasion.

The truth is that no one prepares you for that phone call, the one when your loved one is on the other end of the line saying, “I just can’t do this anymore.”

No one prepares you for that moment when they hang up abruptly, just after you’ve made out the faint sounds of them rummaging through — is that the medicine cabinet? Are they going to overdose? Have they already taken something? Oh my God.

http://www.ravishly.com/2016/01/27/what-i-wish-my-loved-ones-understood-about-being-suicidal

Wish my family CARED that i wanted to jump in front of the Amtrack or down all my pain meds w/ a bottle of vodka. My dad said once "well then do it if you want to that bad, im tired of hearing about it"...i did.

:wtf:

This information needs to be out and talked about, hiding sucide is the worst thing that we can do in my opinion. The good old if I stick my head in the sand it will go away ! It doesn't happen like that. More articles like this need to be in the news and seen and talked about. Not just when it happens by the news media and hyped up to the max to sell a few more thousand news papers.

That was so well written and every person who takes time to read this will feel what she has written, and hopefully one day more people will understand what's it's like to be on either side. I have been on both sides and it feels terrible which ever side of the line you stand on. Everyone thinks it happens to other people, other family's. It's not true.

My son rang and in a coded sort of way trying to tell us what he was about to do, but we didn't realise until the police rang us. Lucky he made it. To this day I will never forget that phone call. If only I had known what I know now. The more we talk about it the more we get information out there, so we can help so many people in need and support.

Thank you for posting thi

The good old if I stick my head in the sand it will go away ! I

My dad thinks so; about everything really. I think he just does that to avoid things that may hurt him but just the fact that he says "i wanna piss on his grave" about my half sisters' (4, same dad, different mom from his first marriage) abuser which was their step dad but then wants me to call my mom :eek::mad::wtf::( <--- about all the emotions i go through. And though he doesnt know details, he knows enough. The day he told me to "just do it then" i was trying to voice it; something ive never been able to do which is why ive never called a crisis line, i wouldnt be able to say a word. I OD'd that day but my body apparently is allergic to too many pills cuz no matter if its the whole bottle or a mixture of some, my body always throws them back up. I didnt have all the stuff i have now though... I dont know, its hard to know what to say but id say, not that!

More articles like this need to be in the news and seen and talked about. Not just when it happens by the news media and hyped up to the max to sell a few more thousand news papers.

I agree! Actually not just suicide but also mental disorders do as well. When Robin Williams committed sucidide it was and talking about depression was for a while and i was so happy that media was now talking about this, talking about mental disorders & suicide and the stigma around it needs to come off. THEN it all went back to Isis and bombings and angry people. Not that Isis & terrorizism isnt important, cuz it is, but they need to make room for this, even a small section because theres so much stigma around it that people are scared to tell someone. Dont wanna be a bother or more of a bother sort of thing. And the reciever needs to know (as much as they can know) how best to help and determine if they just wanna talk or to call the cops over to their house. Its always better to be safe than sorry but it can make it worse if they just wanted someone to talk to.

I agree and the stigma def needs to come off about mental disorders & suicide for sure! And the day it stays in the media i'll be happy to see it; if its in my lifetime anyway. Hopefully we are going more in that direction cuz people on both sides need it! And people needs to stop labeling someone w/ a mental disorder as "crazy" and i think if there were more media coverage, it may just happen!

Last edited:
She sounds really irritating to me. Rumaging through the medicine cabinet while she probably has the ambulance on speed dial. I don't know why I read that shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back