1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Is A PTSD Evaluation Like At The VA?

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Allen-deckard, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Allen-deckard

Allen-deckard New Member

My therapist is sending me to be evaluated at a ptsd clinical team at the VA. I'm a bit nervious about it to say the least. Can anyone give me a heads up on what I can expect?

I guess I am a bit nervious cause I'm a bit afraid of how much to tell them. Am a bit afraid to tell them to much and end up getting put away. I dont know anything really about the process so far it's just been with my therapist and I havent really told them everything for that fear but then again I've never gone for help either.

I'm afraid I'm slowly slipping away very slowly but never the less slipping. For the past few years I've started isolating myself I dont like leaving the house for anything more than going to work. I havent been to a store or left the house for more than work in the last probably 5 years. My job as a night shift cleaning person allows me to pretty much be on my own. I have no friends anymore nor do I want any. I moved into a very very remote country setting with no neighbors within 2 or 3 miles and a 45 min drive to the nearest place to spend money. My wife doesn't have a problem with it but I've found out reciently she knows more than I thought she did.

wow that was more than my question but I'm just currious what this evaluation is going to be like if anyone can help.

Thanks
  2. mikee1013

mikee1013 New Member

Welcome to my world, I have been in the VA process for about 3 years. My solidarity issues and severe panic attack in public places make it very hard for me as well. I haven't been in a grocery store before 9pm in about 4 years.

As for the VA situation, my initial rating was 10% and I called BS. I appealed and my RO intermediately upped me to 50% and requested another C&P exam. I am now awaiting my final award of either 70% or 100% (we will see) I had my last exam on Tuesday.

It's a long process and (at least for me) emotionally and physically draining. I had a complete breakdown in the VA waiting room.

Here are some basic recommendations:

1. Make a list of common PTSD related issues (isolation, panic attacks, OCD like symptoms, short term/long term memory loss)

2. Don't lie! These guys will see past all the BS, so be honest and open. Don't hold anything back. Let you emotions be fully exposed. The key to these exams is to show the examiner what you go through on a regular basis. Don't fight it to be calm and collected then run to your car afterwards and brake down (This is what happened after my first 10 minute C&P exam).

3. Bring your wife, she will be able to answer some of the questions you may not be able to relate to. You may have outbursts of anger that you don't think are that bad or other issues that you just don't see.

4. Understand that this process will aggravate your symptoms for some time, but it is the initial process for understanding the cause of your PTSD and accepting that you have it. This is the only way to accept it into your life, understand that you have a problem, then you can find a path that will lead you to total comfort.

I wish you well,

-Mike
    2-7 Infantry; 3rd ID -Iraq
  3. Pam

Pam New Member

My C included how he had reacted to stressful things after he came back from Vietnam during his exam. Some vets are afraid that if they say they have had terrible things happen to them since they got out of the military, they will not be considered service connected. At least for my C, that was not the case at all. The fact that he experienced extreme stress to life's ups and downs pointed to an earlier switch in the way he dealt with such things. Prior to service, he was able to handle quite a bit of life's ups and downs, even the difficult events. But not after. He waited 30 years before getting help.
  4. Allen-deckard

Allen-deckard New Member

Thank you very much for that information I wasn't aware I could take my wife. Her being there would make things much easier in some ways but my wife doesn't know alot of whats going on with me so harder in others.

Thank you very much for the help though.
  5. Pam

Pam New Member

I wasn't with C when he went in for his assessment 5 years ago. However, if it were to happen today, I would be able to tell the doctor about C's nighttime habits. C isn't aware of his thrashing and yelling while sleeping. I have even heard names and shouts of warning. It happens every night. There are some things that your wife has picked up on that she might never have told you. Be prepared to learn something new. She might feel safer revealing this information with the doctor in the room instead of just to you. But it will be okay.:Hug_emoticon: