• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What Is Combat PTSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthony

Founder
The obvious answer is also the most accurate; a PTSD classification for a person who has served in combat, hence Combat PTSD. It's a name that is used to quickly describe the type of trauma you have endured and your immediate background. You are military / ex-military and you have served within a combat area. For a mental health professional to hear those two magic words, they instantly reduce various questions being asked. The DSM V may even make it an official categorisation of PTSD, time will tell, though I wouldn't hold your breathe for it. Currently it is not an official categorisation, though still widely used to quickly assimilate the type and degree of PTSD being dealt with.

Discussion as to whether civilians who serve in combat zones should be classified with this term. Well... whilst a civilian can serve in a combat zone, endure being fired upon, they are not a constant target as a soldier in uniform is, nor do they have to fire back and take lives. So the categorisation of Combat PTSD is reserved as a label for veterans only. A reporter may follow with a formation and become involved in a contact, though at no point do they have a weapon or act as a combatant. If they suffer PTSD as a result, it is still very real and still very much PTSD, just not Combat PTSD.

Whether Combat PTSD becomes an official term or not within mental health manuals is really irrelevant at this stage, as the term is widely used within the mental health profession worldwide to assimilate its above meaning. The term rapidly identifies a top 5 likely issues:

1. Heightened anger and aggressive response.
  2. Heightened startle response.
  3. Heightened alertness.
  4. Alcohol and/or cigarettes used for coping.
  5. Relationship abuse / issues - emotional and/or physical.
The first three are due to military training, the fourth is due to military lifestyle and the last a combination of the first four which usually reflect an inability to hold a relationship, or you fit within a statistical majority that are emotionally abusing your partner or even have physically abused your partner due to your anger getting out of control. Note the key term, "statistical majority," which does not include everyone, but a majority. Statistics are typically an accurate model of a larger scale group. These are all discussed in much further detail in another article, which outlines the core issues of Combat PTSD due to military training and lifestyle.

This document is Copyright © 2009 and may not be replicated in part or full without express written permission off the author.

This was the first post I saw when logging on today and after reading I must say that I was struck by how accurate the top 5 likely issues are. It was oddly comforting to read this, as for myself and many others living with partners who have combat PTSD, we are made to feel that we are the problem and that these issues are all in our imagination and that "There is nothing wrong" with our partners. This is especially true if the condition is undiagnosed. I believe that if this criteria was to become a relevant criteria it would make a huge difference to a lot of lives.

I amazes me, that when you are with other vets and or their wives, it is so familiar. Combat PTSD is such a complex condition yet it has such a definitive set of symptoms that seem to fit such a large majority of sufferers.

1. Heightened anger and aggressive response.
  2. Heightened startle response.
  3. Heightened alertness.
  4. Alcohol and/or cigarettes used for coping.
  5. Relationship abuse / issues - emotional and/or physical.

WOW! That is my life, or more specifically the past 6 years since combat. Thank you Anthony for your posts, they help us out more than you can possibly imagine. I am in school to become a substance abuse counselor working with Vets and you are an inspiration.

What you have to take into account is that a lot of veterans have not had contact with their respective VA's. And others that have, are not getting the right help, so they turn to substance abuse to help them with their symptoms.

I will stand today and say that the THC found in marijuana is one of the best pain relievers out. It also gives you that euphoria. But unfortunately there are all the other chemicals and side effects which are not good.
Alcohol is another aid. A lot of people say they cannot sleep unless they have a drink, however; they are not aware that they don't actually go into a proper REM sleep whilst drunk and the body needs the REM sleep to sort themselves out.

Jimmy...I'd just like to tell ya that I'm hoping and praying for the best as far as your back surgery coming up soon. I hate the idea of anyone in pain, especially someone as nice and helpful as you. You don't deserve to hurt. I got your back...well don't really want it since it seems messed up ;) but you know what I mean!! You got a friend in me. :)

Ta Steph,
I just sort of stand in for Anthony. He is managing two other sites and gets a bit stressed at times.
Some of the other guys here are getting pretty helpful too. If I get stuck though, I usually ask Anthony's 'Oh Wise One' for some help. I actually think he is doing some study towards it.

I am sitting here after another damn nightmare and waking up with deep anxiety as well as waves of panic attacks
I am fighting with myself to overcome the agoraphobia and not go to see my counselor later today
I need an answer that I have been chasing for months online and I am not sure anyone really knows the answer - is the lack of treatment for PTSD the reason I was diagnosed also with Bipolar - I see some places online that the answer is YES, but the VA Admin people say NO!
Personally, with everything I have been reading - I think that I was misdiagnosed with the Bipolar!
I also believe that the VA Admin is using the diagnosis of Bipolar not to pay me for anything higher than 50%
I have found that the VA is purposely covering up lots of things they screwed up about

Hey Bill,

I don't believe lack of treatment can cause it. Bipolar is Bipolar and PTSD is PTSD.
I will throw this one to the creator of this website and the author of the above document.
Welcome to the forum though mate. Hopefully some of the guys on here can point you in the right direction.

Jimmy

is the lack of treatment for PTSD the reason I was diagnosed also with Bipolar
There is a very simple solution to this actually, and it goes like this:
  1. If you had bipolar prior to your trauma, then you have Bipolar + PTSD.
  2. If you had your trauma, and have then been diagnosed with both, you only have PTSD, as Bipolar is a commonly misdiagnosed diagnosis when PTSD is present.
If a physician has diagnosed you with PTSD, then with Bipolar, the physician is an idiot.

You deal with lots of idiots at the VA trying to cover their mistakes - like the woman who called my name while I was in the Latrine and interviewed another guy!
I found out I had PTSD in 1989 and tried to get help. but my records are classified and will always be classified. I was at an All-Vets Reunion and found a civvy brochure explaining PTSD - My wife and I both looked at it and exclaimed "OMG that is Me (You)"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back