• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What is complex trauma?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meadowsweet

MyPTSD Pro
Reading Anthony's announcement about this forum, got me thinking, do I know what complex trauma is? I know that my own trauma being complex effected the therapeutic approach needed to heal. But somehow, all the discussion about cptsd has confused the matter by focussing the word complex onto a set of symptoms, rather than on the trauma itself.

So I had to think, what complexifies my trauma in my mind. It's the tangled string like effect of the traumas that make it really difficult or complex. So, as I deal with one aspect of one trauma, another trauma or another aspect of trauma cancels it out, or brings up another side of the constant argument in my head.

For example, if I take the stance that something in childhood wasn't my responsibility or couldn't have been helped, it seems to reaffirm that the trauma in adulthood was within my responsibility and could have been helped. So it's like there is never a logic that works across the spectrum of trauma. That's what makes it complex to deal with. I pull at one piece of string to unravel it, and it tugs on another piece and creates a new knot.

But also, the trauma experienced in my adult hood is complex in its very nature. Domestic violence in particular, is a whole mash up of different issues going on. Each issue alone could be dealt with quite logically - but it is the combination of issues that makes the domestic abuse situation almost impossible to ever convey, or even understand.

So I guess, in short, to me, complex trauma is about the multiple aspects of it. The effect of which is to make it almost impossible to untangle in my mind.

But is that what complex trauma is? Or is it that what makes it complex for me personally?

This is what Anthony wrote in his article on complex trauma

"Whilst PTSD requires abnormally traumatic events as diagnostic criterion (and though complex trauma is entangled within that requirement), the PTSD diagnosis fails to concede to the longevity and duration that complex trauma encapsulates. Examples of trauma which fit the criteria for CPTSD include:
  • Physical abuse - ongoing, typically administered within a family or by caregiver / Domestic Violence (DV).
  • Sexual abuse - ongoing, typically administered within a family or by caregiver / friends of family / DV.
  • Imprisonment - prisoner of war / incarceration / forcible confinement for long periods of time.
  • Repeated tours in combat.
  • Other possibilities."

Indeed, ptsd in and of itself consists of layers of symptoms, and that's not what it's based on. What makes it complex, from my understanding, is prolonged exposure to several traumatic events over an extended period of time, as opposed to one specific traumatic event.

That's why childhood trauma lends itself to C-PTSD, since it's usually years of different traumatic events, and being a child you are helpless to do anything about it. But there are other ways, like being held hostage, or experiencing one traumatic event on top of another unrelated event that compounds it all. like I went through years of child abuse, then as soon as I left home and on my own was assaulted. But if for example I had only been assaulted, that is one specific event so it would not be complex. Not to say it would affect me any less, just that it's a single event as opposed to layers of events.

Like I said, that's just my take on it from everything I've read and understand it to be.

@Notsowild , thank you for those definitions.

Indeed, ptsd in and of itself consists of layers of symptoms, and that's not what it's based on. What makes it complex, from my understanding, is prolonged exposure to several traumatic events over an extended period of time, as opposed to one specific traumatic event.

Yes. this is the trauma and stressors board, not the PTSD board, so I think it will be good to move away from the term 'complex' being associated with PTSD and get to where the real issues lie, which is the complexity of the trauma itself.

Why use such an ambiguous word as complex? Why not call it 'multiple' or 'repeat' or something more defining than 'complex'.

Good questions. That's why I thought it would be useful to look at what complex trauma actually means to the individual - so that it's not just a label, but something that we can then use the board to discuss what's so complex about it.

Complex PTSD is not an official diagnosis anyway though. Like in my med records I am listed as having PTSD, but my T had mentioned due to my experiences my PTSD is complex. Also, in the VA system I have MST (military sexual trauma) is listed, others will have Combat PTSD. That's not a medical diagnosis at all, just something they use to classify how the PTSD is service connected and offer an explanation without having to go into detail every time it comes up.

Something I read in Anthony's PDF about PTSD that makes a lot of sense to me all things considered, is that these things are just a classification, jut like Combat PTSD or MST / PTSD as used in the military, and he listed another one too that isnt military related, I forget now. But basically, its not so much something official, as it is a way to quickly be able to get an understanding of the type of trauma experienced without having to go into detail.

People who have Combat PTSD will have a lot of things in common, and people who have Complex PTSD from prolonged / multiple events will have a lot of things in common, etc... both from the view of being able to get support from people they can relate to, as well as getting treatment to get to the root of the issue, these classifications are helpful. Not official, just helpful to get an understanding. I don't think it means much more than that in the grand scheme of things.

@silkleaves , I'm not sure from your post if you are aware that this is an area that has just been created for complex trauma. Neither the area or the thread is about complex PTSD at all.

@Lucycat, I'll be honest, I get sick of hearing about words and how trauma should be described. I take your point, but isn't it more important to talk about the complexities of lots of traumas, whatever word people use for them?

@Hashi, it's in the announcement area. It was just announcing the creation of this forum.

It really was only a quick reference to the announcement post because that's what got me thinking. It's not really relevant to the discussion here.

This thread is me wondering about what makes trauma complex. For me, it's how it all connects in my mind. I wondered what others thought about it.

@silkleaves , I'm not sure from your post if you are aware that this is an area that has just been created for complex trauma. Neither the area or the thread is about complex PTSD at all.

I'm sorry, I confused complex ptsd and complex trauma. I didnt realize they are completely different things. Please disregard everything I said!

Edit: of course now I am completely confused...and I guess your original question makes a lot of sense to ask. If its not about cptsd at all, then yeah, what is complex trauma and how does it relate to those of us with ptsd?

Last edited:
@silkleaves. It isn't about PTSD at all. I have PTSD because I have experienced complex trauma. But to deal with the issues I have, it is the trauma that is really relevant.

I have multiple traumas that happened over the space of 30 years. I have found that I can't deal with them all separately, because they are all very similar (sex, violence, control). And it's how to go about approaching those traumas that I personally find complex, and now I am healing, questions like who am I? how do I live in the world? are the issues that the longevity and multiple effects of trauma leave me with.

I think, not just you of course, but in general on the boards, people look too much at the word 'complex' rather than looking at what it actually means in their personal experience of those complexities. That's what I thought this forum would be for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back