• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What Is Hypervigilance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeKat

New Here
I've read that it's anything from 'constant red alert' to being hyper aware of your own body.

Exactly what isHypervigilance?

The wikipedia cites it as:

Hypervigilance is an enhanced state of sensory sensitivity accompanied by an exaggerated intensity of behaviors whose purpose is to detect threats. Hypervigilance is also accompanied by a state of increased anxiety which can cause exhaustion. Other symptoms include: abnormally increased arousal, a high responsiveness to stimuli and a constant scanning of the environment for threats. Hypervigilance is a symptom of posttraumatic stress disorder.

Put bluntly... you are in a constant heightened state of alertness to your surroundings. Examples include, constantly scanning people within a crowd / shopping centre, sitting with your back to the wall in order to see everyone and everything you can see for a "just in case" situation and lots lots more.

Firehouse and I have quite a bit in common it seems.....it's me in a waiting room also.

For me, I can't be in a small room with alot of people I feel trapped, I always know where the exits are, I always take note of people in general so that I can try to determine if they are a danger to me. I ALWAYS sit with my back to the wall - I will not allow anyone to stand behind me. I'm very short - so that means you can't stand in front of me either (thus blocking off my view of my surroundings). I find myself constantly planning an escape route.

I also have panic attacks in closed situations (just the other day my counselor's waiting room was full, and I had to wait outside the building because of a full blown panic attack - I just could not be around that many people - I truly felt trapped.

I also have a "creepy meter" and if you set it off - I will make my distance from you - even further.

I can read a clinical explaination as well as the next guy. I was kind of hoping some people could tell me how it is for them.

Reading a dictionary about PTSD is easy. I was more looking for an environment where I could relate to people.
I guess I'll just keep looking. Sorry to bother you.

I'm sorry that you don't feel like you got the answer you were looking for. I feel like we have given you more than a clinical explanation - and that I personally told you how it feels for me.

I hope that you will try to remember that for those of us with PTSD it can be difficult to put ourselves out there and try to truly explain how it feels. I did my best to explain to you how it feels for me.

Hyperarousal

Hi

I think the other guys did the best they could explaining hypervigilence.

For me as an x cop it is like I am always on duty, on guard. Looking out windows, looking around me, thinking I see things out of the corner of my eye. Heart racing, cannot relax, cannot keep still. Back to the wall so you can see what is coming. Or they also call it hyperarousal, your mind and body are always in a state of arousal/alertness.

Also with this comes poor sleep patterns, waking at the slightest noise, being very jumpy. Over reacting to noises (I wear ear plugs sometimes because the noise of the outside world becomes overwhelming, it puts a buffer between me and the world).

I can't go to shopping centres because there is too much noise and movement, my mind and body go into overdrive and I have anxiety attacks.

Hope this helps
Clydie

OMG...you guys are sooo my peeps! Same for me...constantly alert to everything and everyone in my environment. Makes me skin crawl to have someone behind me or too close. I can't handle waiting rooms for more than 3-5 minutes. I too have a 'creep' meter and I will have you memorized for the police artist. I am very aware of vehicles following me and will take evasive action unless I know you belong in my neighborhood. If somewhere else...I will pit stop at a cop shop or firestation. I patrol evey night when I am awakened because I am always on alert. Having dogs has helped a lot and they also tend to keep people away from me unless I signal them its ok. One time years ago I went to lunch with some Vietnam Vet nurses. Six women all made a dash for the three seats against the wall...then we all looked at each other and started to laugh (LOL)! We had to get a booth.:rofl:

Okay hypervigilance.. well to me its being on guard all the time. You cant relax because you think something bad will happen. For me I am hypervigilant to voices etc.. when they start up things get worse.. I become more anxious and wanting to close myself off. I don't like crowds.. I dont like small rooms.. I dont like folks invading my personal space. This causes me stress.. weird.. to some but to you who exprience it.. its very real..

Hi

I think the other guys did the best they could explaining hypervigilence.

For me as an x cop it is like I am always on duty, on guard. Looking out windows, looking around me, thinking I see things out of the corner of my eye. Heart racing, cannot relax, cannot keep still. Back to the wall so you can see what is coming. Or they also call it hyperarousal, your mind and body are always in a state of arousal/alertness.

Also with this comes poor sleep patterns, waking at the slightest noise, being very jumpy. Over reacting to noises (I wear ear plugs sometimes because the noise of the outside world becomes overwhelming, it puts a buffer between me and the world).

I can't go to shopping centres because there is too much noise and movement, my mind and body go into overdrive and I have anxiety attacks.

Hope this helps
Clydie

Wow, this totally describes my bf. When we were waiting in the ER for over 5 hours people really started looking at him because it was quite obvious he was in distress. I'm surprised he didn't get whiplash, any noise had him on high alert.

C

How it feels..

Always aware, at some level. Can't relax. Can't usually forget stuff you'd rather, at the back of your mind (or front). Not surprised when something horrendous happens, like a whirlwind tornado comes through and you just 'deal with it'.

High level of maintained stress. Can't sleep.
Wound up like a spring. On edge.

Hi,

For me it's summed up as being "on guard" and "jumpy".

I'm constantly on guard for how close people are to me, what type of movements they're making, and if their voices are too loud. I check my physical surroundings so I know how to escape if I need to. I keep a safe distance away from others.

I jump at loud noises. I am constantly listening to make sure I hear anything out of the ordinary. This is especially bothersome during the night, where any little sound wakes me up.

Everything seems to have the potential of a threat to me, and I have to be constanty scanning my environment in order to be prepared for danger. It's so I can't be taken off guard on anything.

It's all very exhausting, but on some level it helps me to feel safer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back