• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll What Is The Cause Of Your PTSD?

What is the cause of your PTSD?

• Childhood abuse of all types, rape or assault.

Votes: 250 61.7%
  • Abduction

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • Adult rape/ sexual assault/ sexual abuse.

Votes: 57 14.1%
  • Assault.

Votes: 20 4.9%
  • Natural disaster.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Emergency services such as fire or paramedics.

Votes: 11 2.7%
  • Army or war.

Votes: 12 3.0%
  • Death or suicide.

Votes: 22 5.4%
  • Medical condition.

Votes: 9 2.2%
  • Accident.

Votes: 17 4.2%

• Total voters
According to the therapist that I used to see, before it was stopped, told me that I had issues going right back to my childhood?

That along with some events that happened during my time in the forces, and the ambulance service, where I experienced a lot of bad stuff
Even during my time in the oil construction industry, I lost a lot of workmates during them fourteen years.

In fact, the reason they stopped my therapy, was because, “ I had too many issues, going back over too long a time” and the therapy wasn’t working?

In fact, the reason they stopped my therapy, was because, “ I had too many issues, going back over too long a time” and the therapy wasn’t working?
My T had been to his working group about me as he could not get a handle on so many targets for EMDR. (To many events over to many years going back 58 years ago was about the start.They came back and told him to move away from events and targets and look towards the Negative Cognitions that come with these events. My therapy fell apart at this point and I have not been able to get it restarted as of yet so that is all I know.

So many things happened to me, that I honestly can't believe that it did or wrap my head around it. It all came back from my childhood and how father SA me and I witnessed my father hitting my mother. So it sort of makes sense why I'd end up with an abusive man so to speak because it's what I saw when I was a child and it confused me and clouded my judgment. I stayed six years with him and I finally got out 6 weeks ago. I'm finally speaking of everything he did now because back than I was scared and ashamed. :(

I finally told my mother last night about everything and she looks very upset, which I can't blame her at all. I'm now working on my self healing with my therapist and I hope I recover from all of this one day.

Difficult for me to choose but my major trauma was caused by the hand of another. I chose assault , arson best fits there I guess.

looking again I should have chosen childhood assault...arson was at 12 years old .

I chose death. When I was three years old I witnessed two murders by a man I called "The Crazy Man." Later I learned this man was my biological father. My PTSD started that day. So did my dissociation and DID and anxiety and panic attacks and depression. I didn't know about this until I was 35 years old when the repressed memories came flooding back to me.

I was isolated as a child, mostly was around my mom and dad. I had no other relatives, except my grandma who lived an hour away and was dismissive of my dad's abusive behavior. I wasn't allowed to have friends over or leave the house, very rarely. My dad would get anxious and take me away from them. Because I was so socially isolated, I was awkward and thus bullied at school. I was sexually assaulted by another student, and when I brought it up to staff I was not believed because the person who assaulted me was son of a teacher.

I was never allowed to have my own opinions, or voice, really. Between teachers not listening to me when I came forward about being bullied (It was actually reversed and I was blamed), and my father being a narcissist who silenced me by yelling or hitting at me for giving an incorrect opinion, I learned to fear speaking or having feelings toward anything at all.

Back