• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What is the difference between emotional flooding and emotional flashback?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillowMarie

Confident
I was just wondering if there is a difference between emotional flooding and emotional flashback and what the differences are.

I don't know if there is a difference but sometimes when I get overwhelmed with emotions it is just that, overwhelming, other times there is a component to the emotions that feels like I am right back there in the trauma. I think that is the difference. You still have to deal with it all but knowing where they originate makes it that much easier. This is a great question and I can't wait to hear what other people think.

I hadn't heard of emotional flooding before so I went and looked it up and clicked on the first link that showed up. It was a link to a Wikipedia page. I didn't read the whole page but I read the first paragraph. And from what I read it says emotional flooding is a technique used in therapy "attacking the unconscious and or subconscious mind to release repressed feelings and fears". I don't know if that's the most accurate description though.

From what I understand of emotional flashbacks which I have it's not something that I need a technique to bring a memory up. I'm triggered and the memory comes to me on it's own. And in those moments I'm emotionally back in a traumatic situation and I'm reliving it and reacting to it. It's exhausting physically and emotionally.

I think of the flashback as only bringing on one or two emotions, primarily fear or panic. I think of flooding as when many emotions collide. When there may be a flashback but also feelings of worthlessness, guilt, inadequecy, shame, anger, defensiveness,. For me, about 30 strong emotions flood my world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back