• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What Is Your Attachment Style?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oasis2003

MyPTSD Pro
I am anxious/ fearful avoidant apparently towards females because of issues with my mother. What style are you and does this resonate with you? What does this mean?

Also we are working on gestalt psychotherapy has any one else worked on this model and did it work for you ?

I understand attachment theory with children/parents... Do you mean this theory, or the model on romantic attachments? I had to go look that one up.

As a child/parent ... Secure.
As an adult... I don't fit in any of their categories.

I think it stems from child hood attachment but I think my adult attachment style is the same as the other . No did not mean romantic attachment mine is secure with men . You can add that if you want though ?! I meant what is your adult attachment style as it can be all linked to attachment growing up I think ?

I meant what is your adult attachment style as it can be all linked to attachment growing up I think ?

I'm a very different person as an adult than I was as a child. None of the 4 attachment styles apply. Some of that is seriously trauma related, some just live & learn :) It will be interesting to see how others shake out.

I am not sure I feel like I am a combination of everything EXCEPT secure.

When looking it up, I found several websites that gave different styles. Not all sites had the same styles so it would help to know which one you are using.

Last edited:
Toward children / as a carer-parent, secure.

Everything else is in the wind. I mean it's greatly situational & not the exceptions kids are in my life.

When I was a child: secure. Now I'd say it's more insecure / avoidant.

From what I've read about attachment theory, I'd say I'm Disorganised /Unresolved.

On a waiting list for psychotherapy, don't know what kind. Hope it's going to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Fadeaway It is Mary ainsworth and the four styles of attachment that I know about. It was just my therapist said that I was anxious avoidant in style and that this was coming up in sessions so wondered if you guys knew any thing about this. @ Fridayjones yes live and learn sometimes I get anxious as to what the therapist is meaning . I don't think I am that different a person from child to adult even though I had lots of trauma the child in me survives, and probably is what has got me through.
@Cashew yes I am secure with my kids they are my life too but I think there are certain ways that you can behave which is down to you attachment style.
@Snowwhite do you behave in this insecure / avoidant way then? I was looking up my attachment style and some seemed ok but other parts did not seem like me at all .@Cj77 are you really like this style and in which relationships ? When you get your psychotherapy let me know what kind you are having and how it is going with you will you?
Has any one else done gestalt psychotherapy ?
I think this attachment classification is quite interesting like personality type, and whether your child, or adult is most pronounced in your interactions with people.

Hi @DogwoodTree
This is a good test incorporating lots of relationships. Thanks I have done it and learnt some interesting things about myself and relationships. It seems that my therapist may have been correct which is always encouraging if not worrying?!
Thanks for the link :)

Last edited by a moderator:
@Oasis, from reading on Wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attachment_theory
Fearful-avoidant (unresolved/disorganised) adults (most likely my attachment style), have mixed feelings about close relationships, both desiring and feeling uncomfortable with emotional closeness. They tend to mistrust their partners and view themselves as unworthy. Like dismissive-avoidant adults, fearful-avoidant adults tend to seek less intimacy, suppressing their feelings.

It sums me up perfectly with regards to all relationships with other people.

I will let you know what kind of psychotherapy they will be doing, I am on a waiting list again (NHS).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back