• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll What Is Your Worst Symptom?

What Is Your Worst Symptom?

• anger, depression

Votes: 41 13.9%
  • dissociation, depersonalization, avoidance

Votes: 54 18.4%
  • flashbacks, intrusive memories

Votes: 37 12.6%
  • hypervigilance, exaggerated startle response

Votes: 27 9.2%
  • nightmares, insomnia, sleep disturbances

Votes: 36 12.2%
  • negative or distorted thinking, low self-esteem

Votes: 35 11.9%
  • anxiety, panic, agoraphobia

Votes: 52 17.7%
  • another symptom not mentioned

Votes: 12 4.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just added anxiety for you Evie.... issue fixed. Super moderators and above can change polls if required.

Thanks so much Anthony. I don't know why I didn't just request an edit, I guess I didn't realize it was possible.

That is OK I should have known I was able to fix it too but my head has been lodged firmly is my ass of late.

I picked hypervigilance as my worst. I've been mulling over how to explain why for a day or two now. The best I can describe it as is that it never quits. It's 24/7 for over 20 years (at least) and many of my other symptoms are increased from it. Others, like nightmares, I'm just used to and consider it normal. The hypervigilance makes me feel crazy because I KNOW that many times the environment or situation does not warrant my reaction.

Nic will probably explain this better if I made it all jumbled.

bec

worst symptom

I have to pick just one? I was rated like Batgirl, highest on everything, so I think my worst sitmptom would have to be angrysleepdeprivation.

Really difficult one to answer, it made me think! I put anxiety as the worst, as that has a direct knock on effect on everything else, and I think generally anxiety is what is around the most for me. Though I was tempted to put nightmares as that is also forever present too. But I can get over nightmares through the day better than I can anxiety which I am having a hard time escaping at the moment. Other than that I was next thinking hypervigilance, that's around most nights for me, and then avoidance, probably my biggest hindrence to recovery....

good poll. Breaks down PTSD into several things I know I need to deal with.

I picked dissociation. Over the past couple of years, the other symptoms have subsided over the past few years, but I'm still pretty cut off the outside world.

I don't have the words for my worst experience the last maybe 6 months have been able to think better and less pain mixing more again too .I find it hard to break down the experience into processes and to find the words.
Confusion is on the way to understanding (i hope)

I just found this poll, good one Evie. I chose the agoraphobia since that is the one I feel is almost impossible to overcome. It certainly is the one that affects my life the most. After all, it is the 1 that put me in the hospital and cost me my really good job

Currently from that list the worst I'm dealing with is flashbacks and intrusive memories.

After my last flashback it's like there's this constant sting in my amygdala, been there for a few days but it's going down.

I gotta tell ya all . . .

Yo friends . ..

I'm so sorry you have such sad and unpleasant, well, horrible things to endure.

I got to say that right now I am crying because I am so concerned for you all and feel so bad for you. I wish I could just do something, anything to help you all. I don't care what it would be. You all don't deserve this stuff. It was done to you.

And I know how horrible it can be because I've had most all the symptoms mentioned. And they all are so darned horrible, scary and make life so hard.

Well, anyway I'm still crying but I got to say that I voted for anger, rage 'cause after I get done destroying a computer, or putting a hole in a wall, or hitting myself in the face with my fist . . . I've never hurt anyone else and and would die first before I did.

Second, was insomnia. I wanted to vote for that one too 'cause like some of you said, it makes me crazy too. I feel like I am an insane monster when I can't sleep. It makes me feel like I want to kill myself but I can't 'cause its against God, and my son wouldn't like it, and neither would my wife, and I promised my therapist I wouldn't hurt myself, and if there is one thing I'm really good at is keeping my word. Laying down and being so tired I can hardly move yet not being able to sleep. Yet even if I do sleep, I don't feel rested. Happily, I got meds now that get me good sleep.

I got to go I don't want to cry anymore.

Bye, Doug

I chose anger and depression, because that is what I am feeling most right now, but I have serious sleep deprivation problems and when I am in this cycle I have negative thinking and low self-esteem. I feel like no one likes me or wants me in their lives. I feel a lot of free floating anxiety because when I go home my house needs cleaning and I don't have the energy to get it done! I let things go and then beat myself up mentally because I am letting things go. No energy! No motivation! I just watch the tube and I am a confirmed TV hater!

Chissi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back