• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

General What Keeps You Going When The Going Gets Rough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweetpea76

Every supporter knows how tough it can get in our relationships, but what are some of the things that make it easy? We can all use a pick me up. :p

For instance, my vet and I use a lot of humor to manage. He's got an awesome sense of humor, and that was one of the main things that attracted me to him.

Recently it's been hard for me to keep going as of late, but I always tell myself that if there's one thing that I would love more than anything, it's to see my sufferer grow and one day, be happy. Although that time may be way far off or few in between, it's that hope that somehow keeps me going at times, even if it's unrealistic and her PTSD will most likely follow her through her whole life, I cherish the few moments where I see her happy and enjoying herself. I don't know why, it just brings me hope for some reason. A weird concept, but it really does.

Honestly, when things get rough, I'm grateful for my boyfriend's existence. He tends to drag me out of emotional hell when my sufferer becomes symptomatic and he allows me to vent and be myself. It's nice to have someone support me while I'm supporting someone else - it can get really hard. He reminds me to take care of myself and to get out of the house too, which I unfortunately tend to forget in getting caught up in taking care of my sufferer, so I'm very grateful he's there for me. :)

Cherry Coke and chocolate :laugh:

I go to bed earlier than he does, and he will always come and 'tuck me in'. That is very reassuring, for both of us, especially when things are difficult. I have those sticky word things you can put on the wall saying 'Always kiss me goodnight', and that is possibly the cornerstone of our relationship.

Crying is good too. Not in a manipulative, water works way, but in a private, pressure valve way.

It's seeing glimpses of all the stuff that isn't her PTSD. The humor, intelligence, the pure creativity. The hope that all of these things and more have the potential to come up to the surface every once in a while.

Also, this probably sounds weird, but no matter how hard the day has been every night she moisturizes and massages my hands before we go to sleep. We are very rarely able to be fully physically intimate because of the intrusive images she gets so it's not about that. More of sort of a sign that she still wants to be close to me and do something nice for me. I feel like I exist and that she's still here.

This forum.
I guess the only thing that I can really go by is truth. I will get frustrated beyond belief, but end of day I realize and understand the truth is we are close and will always have a bond no matter how insane drives me

Love always has to be the main strength for me. I am a Mom of a teen with ptsd. I am in transition stage of letting him be out in the world on his own. I am learning that I don't have to be the only one to help him. But it is hard. Therapists, friends, teachers are all of great help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back